Shock Absorbers

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Blue~Go

Re: Shock Absorbers

Post by Blue~Go »

I'm impressed - good job. And it's always nice when someone who's gone before posts a write up so you get off to a good start.

I see you solved the brake line issue too. Time for a road trip! (NOT constantly rolling to the edges of a giant ball.)

Now just think of the improvement with some anti-sway bar upgrades :twisted:
1999 Concourse
FatBuoy
**Forum Contributor**

Post by FatBuoy »

Blue~Go wrote: July 2nd, 2020, 8:52 am I'm impressed - good job. And it's always nice when someone who's gone before posts a write up so you get off to a good start.

I see you solved the brake line issue too. Time for a road trip! (NOT constantly rolling to the edges of a giant ball.)

Now just think of the improvement with some anti-sway bar upgrades :twisted:
STOP NOW BLUE!!! GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!! I would like to retire one day. :lol:
2001 Premier aka "Anookie"
Dallas, TX area
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I'd say they were the single most satisfying handling improve... oh, never mind :lol:
1999 Concourse
FatBuoy
**Forum Contributor**

Post by FatBuoy »

Blue~Go wrote: July 2nd, 2020, 12:19 pm I'd say they were the single most satisfying handling improve... oh, never mind :lol:
OK, Blue- perhaps after our trip out West. Please sell my wife while you're at it! :lol:

As mentioned, the shocks themselves were game changing. Sometimes it's nice to let the most recent improvement sink in, then you appreciate the next level more.

What improvement would I notice? Is it simply cornering, or are there other areas that you noticed?
Dallas, TX area
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I noticed two main improvements with the anti-sway bar upgrades. First is cornering. I had a really clear example because I drove up to my appointment on a curvy two-lane highway I had taken numerous times before. Without crazy leaning, I could not maintain the posted curve speed, and there would always be cars lining up behind me (I'm not a jerk, and if I am driving slower I do pull off when I can). Even at reduced speeds, I was kind of "willing" the Chinook through the corners.

On the way back, same stretch, I was easily able to maintain the posted curve speed, and the Chinook did not become a sideways inclined plane. Ahhh.

The other place I really noticed it was in reduced "rock back." Here is an example of what I mean. Say you are leaving a gas station. There is that dip down between their parking lot and the street. Oftentimes you cross that at an angle, either to reduce the chance of scraping the tail, or simply because you are angling into traffic. That causes the rear wheels to hit the "dip" at slightly different times, which sets up a quick back and forth rocking that continues a few times and can cause things to crash around (even if contained). Once I had the anti-sway bar improvements installed, that became simple a rock and stop, without the continuing rock back that causes everything to whip back and forth. I guess I'd say its the side-to-side version of the difference between the continuing bouncing up and down of bad shocks, vs. the "one bounce and stop" of good shocks.

Another example: This is from many years before in my car, but same concept. I put on beefier anti-sway bars and the next day was on a busy freeway. A car came careening down the on-ramp and just blasted into my lane (basically right into my side door). I was able to basically steer straight across into the next lane (there was a gap I could see). Prior to the upgrade that might have caused a dangerous lean/sway, and it's possible I could not have pulled it off. With the new bars, the car just moved over, stayed level, and besides a sky-high heart rate on my part all was fine.

Everything has more than one effect though. Generally speaking, if you add "too much [rear I think] bar" to a vehicle you can end up with steering effects such as oversteer (back end wants to skip and swing around on you). I have not noticed even a hint of this on the Chinook. I think maybe it's just too big and heavy, or even the added bar is not "too much bar." So that doesn't seem to be an issue (even with the larger rear bar I started with). The other effect I noticed was the largest rear bar made the rear suspension in my Chinook too jarring on bumps (I do not have Mor-Ryde; not sure how or if that would change anything). The large front bar, OTOH, seemed to be pure goodness (still does, six years later). (I had a cooperative shop, so we tried all the combinations to isolate variables.) What I ended up doing was keeping the large (Roadmaster) front bar, and then getting a "middle bear" rear bar which was the stock rear bar from a dually E-450 (junkyard buy with new bushings).

In stock form, there was a medium sized front bar and no rear bar; now I have a large front bar and medium rear bar, so the proportion is about the same. Maybe with Mor Ryde or Sulastic shackles one could carry the larger rear (Roadmaster) bar and not get the harsh effect?

So in summary:

1) Fun driving

2) Safety (both in handling and in avoiding road rage or "suicide passers" if you are holding cars up on curvy stretches).

3) Reduced "rock back" causing your possessions to rattle around or add stress to cabinet doors, mounts, etc.
1999 Concourse
FatBuoy
**Forum Contributor**

Post by FatBuoy »

Blue~Go wrote: July 6th, 2020, 12:23 pm I noticed two main improvements with the anti-sway bar upgrades. First is cornering. I had a really clear example because I drove up to my appointment on a curvy two-lane highway I had taken numerous times before. Without crazy leaning, I could not maintain the posted curve speed, and there would always be cars lining up behind me (I'm not a jerk, and if I am driving slower I do pull off when I can). Even at reduced speeds, I was kind of "willing" the Chinook through the corners.

On the way back, same stretch, I was easily able to maintain the posted curve speed, and the Chinook did not become a sideways inclined plane. Ahhh.

The other place I really noticed it was in reduced "rock back." Here is an example of what I mean. Say you are leaving a gas station. There is that dip down between their parking lot and the street. Oftentimes you cross that at an angle, either to reduce the chance of scraping the tail, or simply because you are angling into traffic. That causes the rear wheels to hit the "dip" at slightly different times, which sets up a quick back and forth rocking that continues a few times and can cause things to crash around (even if contained). Once I had the anti-sway bar improvements installed, that became simple a rock and stop, without the continuing rock back that causes everything to whip back and forth. I guess I'd say its the side-to-side version of the difference between the continuing bouncing up and down of bad shocks, vs. the "one bounce and stop" of good shocks.

Another example: This is from many years before in my car, but same concept. I put on beefier anti-sway bars and the next day was on a busy freeway. A car came careening down the on-ramp and just blasted into my lane (basically right into my side door). I was able to basically steer straight across into the next lane (there was a gap I could see). Prior to the upgrade that might have caused a dangerous lean/sway, and it's possible I could not have pulled it off. With the new bars, the car just moved over, stayed level, and besides a sky-high heart rate on my part all was fine.

Everything has more than one effect though. Generally speaking, if you add "too much [rear I think] bar" to a vehicle you can end up with steering effects such as oversteer (back end wants to skip and swing around on you). I have not noticed even a hint of this on the Chinook. I think maybe it's just too big and heavy, or even the added bar is not "too much bar." So that doesn't seem to be an issue (even with the larger rear bar I started with). The other effect I noticed was the largest rear bar made the rear suspension in my Chinook too jarring on bumps (I do not have Mor-Ryde; not sure how or if that would change anything). The large front bar, OTOH, seemed to be pure goodness (still does, six years later). (I had a cooperative shop, so we tried all the combinations to isolate variables.) What I ended up doing was keeping the large (Roadmaster) front bar, and then getting a "middle bear" rear bar which was the stock rear bar from a dually E-450 (junkyard buy with new bushings).

In stock form, there was a medium sized front bar and no rear bar; now I have a large front bar and medium rear bar, so the proportion is about the same. Maybe with Mor Ryde or Sulastic shackles one could carry the larger rear (Roadmaster) bar and not get the harsh effect?

So in summary:

1) Fun driving

2) Safety (both in handling and in avoiding road rage or "suicide passers" if you are holding cars up on curvy stretches).

3) Reduced "rock back" causing your possessions to rattle around or add stress to cabinet doors, mounts, etc.
Haha! Can always count on you for an entertaining, descriptive response, Blue. Thanks! I'm wondering if I should do YOU a solid and try out the Sulastic shackles, first. I did read that they have a shelf life because of the rubber couplings. I think 4-5 years or so? I'm sure it depends on how many miles you put on them as well.
Dallas, TX area
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

FatBuoy wrote: July 7th, 2020, 5:23 am I'm wondering if I should do YOU a solid and try out the Sulastic shackles, first.
You absolutely should :mrgreen:

I vaguely remember they had conflicting information about which ones would be correct for us. Not the fit but rather two different grades of "heavy dutiness." In one place they said one thing and in another place the other. I did at the time consult a buddy who runs a heavy dually E-350 but now I can't remember which one he recommended, darnit (it was six years ago). I think there was something like heavy duty and extra heavy duty and they recommended the lighter one for our "vans" but then of course we don't have vans so there was another place where their recommendation was for the heavier one. But of course if it's too heavy then it's probably not very "sulastic." Argh.

That confusion, plus the fact that it would have taken me a week or two to get them, I had already been "camped" at a shop for a week (had to order in the junkyard anti-sway bar), I had just spent a large amount of money on suspension mods, and it was already worlds better caused me to not do them. But I still think they might be really slick on our rigs! So, yes please :D
1999 Concourse
FatBuoy
**Forum Contributor**

Post by FatBuoy »

Blue~Go wrote: July 7th, 2020, 12:15 pm
FatBuoy wrote: July 7th, 2020, 5:23 am I'm wondering if I should do YOU a solid and try out the Sulastic shackles, first.
You absolutely should :mrgreen:

I vaguely remember they had conflicting information about which ones would be correct for us. Not the fit but rather two different grades of "heavy dutiness." In one place they said one thing and in another place the other. I did at the time consult a buddy who runs a heavy dually E-350 but now I can't remember which one he recommended, darnit (it was six years ago). I think there was something like heavy duty and extra heavy duty and they recommended the lighter one for our "vans" but then of course we don't have vans so there was another place where their recommendation was for the heavier one. But of course if it's too heavy then it's probably not very "sulastic." Argh.

That confusion, plus the fact that it would have taken me a week or two to get them, I had already been "camped" at a shop for a week (had to order in the junkyard anti-sway bar), I had just spent a large amount of money on suspension mods, and it was already worlds better caused me to not do them. But I still think they might be really slick on our rigs! So, yes please :D
So, I spoke with Sulastic yesterday. Talked to a lady who had limited information, but kept saying the technician could expand, but by text only, as he can communicate better that way. I don’t think he speaks English well. In a nutshell, they have two options for our rigs. The traditional one for $420 (says it’s made for RVs), and a commercial one for $330 more. Ouch! The commercial one is adjustable. The text guy said, “If that fits, it’s better”. That’s all I’ve been able to get out of him so far. Take a look at the site. You’ll see what I mean when you plug in year/make/model. There are three choices, actually. But one is for a van. So, I’m not sure what to do. If the ultimate goal is to soften the impact, do you lay up and go the cheaper route, but still have some relief, or go for the gusto and get what COULD be even better? I’ll try to dig more. But we’re getting pretty expensive for that adjustable one. Blue- want to pitch in the $330, so we all know? : )
Dallas, TX area
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

It's all coming back to me now. The product seems great, but getting good info from them was hard (their English was the same as now) and IIRC they recommended one thing but then when I pointed out something else slightly conflicting on their website they recommended a different thing, etc. I hate that sort of inconclusiveness! I just didn't get a good feeling in our communications. I was hoping it would all be different by now.
1999 Concourse