Camping at 30 degrees and Can't Get Warm

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
Blue~Go

Re: Camping at 30 degrees and Can't Get Warm

Post by Blue~Go »

Scott wrote:
Haha. Oh man, I could see daylight through mine. I replaced the seal by installing a whole new door!!
Do tell!
1999 Concourse
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Well, nothing too sensational. I took a few measurements and bought a replacement door from ebay, pried the old one off, and installed the replacement with new SS screws and butyl. It's much lighter, has better latching hardware, it clicks shut just so nicely, and has a better screen door. The old door was self-destructing at the bottom from washboard roads, the seal was not a seal anymore, it required an NFL lineman to shut it, the screen door needed attention, and it was a weird off-white on the inside panel. So I just replaced the whole thing. Then I gave away the old door to a very appreciative gentleman from Craigslist who was building a "cabin."

Here's the ad copy from my CL listing:
RV door - FREE
item: a door
fuel: diesel
transmission: manual
Mounting frame is 23.5" x 72. Radius corners. Good glass. Good hardware. Deadbolt with two keys. Screen door is sorta OK. Used. Not in the best condition as reflected in price. Come and get her before the landfill becomes her final resting place.
Thanks
1994 Premier
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Ha, that sounds like the ad I placed for my cut-in-half refrigerator. I figured someone might duct tape it back together and use it at a cabin or something. Sure enough, a taker came and happily got it the next day :mrgreen:
1999 Concourse
BobW9

Post by BobW9 »

Scott, my 2000 Concourse's door is 23.5" also, but all I'm seeing is 24" x 72". How did you find a 23.5" x 72"? Any special trick? Or is it the frame is 24" x 72" and the door is a half inch less?

Thanks,
Bob
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Hi Bob,

The door I bought was listed as 24x72 and it fits pretty well. I had to fashion a support for the threshold, but the installation was pretty basic.
1994 Premier
b6fischer

Post by b6fischer »

SCott:
I have carried chains for the past four years and have yet to use them - cable chains for front tires and outer rear tires - if it's icy enough to need them, you'll want them on the steering tires as well. Our 10,500+ miles ski trip in the Rockies this year was our test bed to see if we will 4x4 the rig or not. Easy answer is no. We never even had to use chains crossing major snow covered passes like Teton Pass Wy/ID or Kootenay Pass in British Columbia. I have Goodyear Duratrac looking at the Cooper ATW for next set. I run 215/85R16 a little narrower and taller than stock - fit without any mods. Ride great and the narrow footprint maximizes ice traction.

http://chinookconcourse.tumblr.com/post ... ed-finally

http://chinookconcourse.tumblr.com/post ... winter-use
1997 Chinook Concourse, over 200,000 Miles
b6fischer

Post by b6fischer »

Blue:
I took a piece of my existing rear door seal up to my local RV dealer who has a decent parts counter. They had two types: standard (which I had) and oversized. I bought the oversized hoping for a better seal. After installing I did have to trim a few areas near hinges to get door to close, but the results were awesome.I will probably do what Scott did and buy a new door eventually, but this worked well.
Bill
1997 Chinook Concourse, over 200,000 Miles
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Thanks for the info on the door seal, Bill
b6fischer wrote: Our 10,500+ miles ski trip in the Rockies this year...
I love how much use you get out of your Chinook! I remember reading about how your engine blew on your way home from buying it. That seems like it could have been a bit daunting, but you just put in a new one and carried on. Way to go :D
1999 Concourse