Furnace?

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
kermit

Furnace?

Post by kermit »

I have just purchased a 2000 Chinook Concourse. The unit has roof AC with Heat Pump + propane furnace installed. The comfort control center to activate the furnace does not show the "furnace" highlighted when scrolling through the mode settings (it will show the fan, cool and heat pump, etc.). I wish to use the furnace, so how do I activate it? I have traced all the wiring from furnace to control center to roof AC/heat pump unit. The roof mounted AC/heatpump unit has a telephone connector with two male telephone connectors into a junction box + an extra male telephone connector along the side, unused. I have swithced these connectors without any difference on the control center display. The previous owner has never used the furnace as the heat pump was all that was necesary for his use. (in fact he didn't even know it had a furnace as the control center never showed "furnace". Is it possible that the furnace was installed into the MH without being activated into the control unit? if so, how do I activate the control center to talk to the furnace.
Last edited by kermit on April 10th, 2015, 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: Furnace?

Post by Manitou »

Well dang that sucks. I can tell you for sure my 2004 has a furnace mode on the thermostats and that's the only way I can control it. (not much help I know)
jeromedgeer

Post by jeromedgeer »

kermit wrote:I have just purchased a 2000 Chinook Concourse. The unit has roof AC with Heat Pump + propane furnace installed. The comfort control center to activate the furnace does not show the "furnace" highlighted when scrolling through the mode settings (it will show the fan, cool and heat pump, etc.). I wish to use the furnace, so how do I activate it? I have traced all the wiring from furnace to control center to roof AC/heat pump unit. The roof mounted AC/heatpump unit has a telephone connector with two Mail telephone connectors into a junction box + an extra male telephone connector along the side, unused. I have swithced these connectors without any difference on the control center display. The previous owner has never used the furnace as the heat pump was all that was necesary for his use. (in fact he didn't even know it had a furnace as the control center never showed "furnace". Is it possible that the furnace was installed into the MH without being activated into the control unit? if so, how do I activate the control center to talk to the furnace.

I had the same problem with my 2005 Glacier.
The roof AC unit had been replaced but the new unit was not setup for the furnace. All I had to do was remove the AC unit shroud, remove the cover from the electrical box and turn on the furnace DIP switch. Had to reinitilize the thermostat and the furnace worked fine.
kermit

Post by kermit »

Thanks for the reply. I did read about the dip switch but it only mentioned the heat pump and zones in the booklet. I will remove the (shroud on top) and hope to see the dip switch with the furnace switch off........Also, I'll look for and hope to find the furnace has its thermocouples somewhere inside the cabin connected too.
jeromedgeer

Post by jeromedgeer »

kermit wrote:Thanks for the reply. I did read about the dip switch but it only mentioned the heat pump and zones in the booklet. I will remove the (shroud on top) and hope to see the dip switch with the furnace switch off........Also, I'll look for and hope to find the furnace has its thermocouples somewhere inside the cabin connected too.

One way to check if the furnace is working is to disconnect the connector for the furnace thermostat at the ac unit inside, 2 wires black and red, and using a bent up paper clip put it in the connector at the side going to the thermostat. This will startup the furnace fan. After a little time the gas will ignite.
kermit

Post by kermit »

It all works now........
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

kermit wrote:It all works now........
Dip switches?
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...