Running lights don't work

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
Ktown

Re: Running lights don't work

Post by Ktown »

In this case would it still be a fuse?

That AtO style seemed fine to me.

Here is a picture of that mess of wires up front:
Attachments
A3AAD57A-27DC-4C70-B343-72FB4C067221.jpeg
1998 Concourse
Ktown

Post by Ktown »

This group looks like the return. But it is all taped up at the very end. I assume it has been grounded somewhere. Not sure if you have seen this before. The is the same group that holds that empty tube style fuse
1998 Concourse
Ktown

Post by Ktown »

8AFD988F-EBBE-42CB-9F76-DE9796B4E510.jpeg
1998 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Added note since I just saw your last post. What I would do since that "glob" of wires is not what I'm used to seeing up there (I'm used to seeing the Chinook fuse block) is look at two areas that are relatively easy to check:

1) Remove driver's side black step in footwell cover, and look for pair of wires in small black loom going rearward.

2) Look underneath in rear by frame rail at Ford brown/black connectors and see if you can see a pair of wires running forward along the frame rail in black loom. Try to match those to what you see in the stepwell.

Okay, back to what I had already written:

Okay, that tells me it's probably something like a loose wire crimp. If it were the fuse then none of them would work, even with jiggling. But it must be "high up" the chain because it's affecting everything Chinook usually puts on that set of wires (taillights, brake lights, turn signals, running lights, trailer lights).

So I would trace the wires. Here is how they run on my '99 (it's been three years since I had to figure this out at a rest area, so pardon any fuzziness on my part.

By the way, I think there are "tone" devices that can help find a wire break, but I'd likely start by just inspecting, because why not get a look at things and come to understand how it's set up.

So on mine there are a few areas that have the wires:

1) All originated at the two Ford "connectors" at the frame rail (the brown and black ones shown on the diagram I excerpted above).

2) The wires from the brown one were all used and "Y"ed off not far from the brown connector. One branch went to the four-way flat trailer connector. The other branch went up into the floor and to the driver's side tail light. Plenty of crimps right there to check out.

3) To get to the driver's side tailight (where the wires come up through the floor) one removes the driver's side "wall-ette" from the locker that is just ahead of the spare tire. That reveals lots of plumbing and wiring, and the rear side of the taillight. The wires that "Y"ed off come up through the floor there.

4) I can't remember the path they take over to the passenger taillight (I didn't have to go that far) but they are behind the closet carpet over there. Probably you won't have to go there (at least not yet).

5) At some point a wire goes all the way up to the area near the driver's shin and is fused there (at least on mine and later ones). This wire on mine went along the frame rail (underneath) in a ribbed back loom. These are small wires not the larger generator start cable that also runs along there. Then it went under the driver's side black footwell (easily removable), to the fuse, and all the way back again (in the same loom). I think it was also in the footwell area where the front marker lights joined in, but I can't remember for sure.

Since none of your tailights or maker lights work (and maybe not your trailer lights), that makes me think it's not one individual light, but rather a problem in the "main trunk" (feed) wiring. So that affects them all. To me the areas to look over closely would be underneath where that main "Y" is (lots of crimps), and where that main line goes forward to the fuse block (if you have that up-and-back wire on yours). If you can see if you have power to the trailer lights (connector) that might provide a clue. Basically at this point it sounds like none of the associated lights work, so that suggests the problem is "high up" in the chain of power thus cutting the power to all of those items.
1999 Concourse
Ktown

Post by Ktown »

Haven’t had a chance to check all this. But I did hook up my trailer and found that the lights also don’t work. Perhaps that might tell you something else.

Edit: the brake lights on trailer work. Not running lights r
1998 Concourse
Ktown

Post by Ktown »

I :D

Got it working! traced the wires like you mentioned along the rail and found that one of the blue colored one going to the trailer dongle was separated. Almost looked like someone had snipped it. The lights look beautiful now at night.

Thanks for your help and I learned a fair bit in the process.
1998 Concourse
Ktown

Post by Ktown »

I :D

Got it working! traced the wires like you mentioned along the rail and found that one of the blue colored one going to the trailer dongle was separated. Almost looked like someone had snipped it. The lights look beautiful now at night.

Thanks for your help and I learned a fair bit in the process.
1998 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Yay! Lights!

I'm so glad you found the culprit! I know I was completely baffled when I first had this problem because.... who expects them to use the trailer lights connector the Chinook lights, PLUS run it back and forth (and back and forth). I thought I'd never get out of that rest area!

Plus I guess we have learned that the 1998 (and before?) may not have that fuse block. Or if they do (anyone?!) then maybe yours was removed (that seems unlikely though).

At any rate... lights! :D
1999 Concourse