Your view on Chinook issues for a newbie like me

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
beaknecht

Your view on Chinook issues for a newbie like me

Post by beaknecht »

Hi all,

I am considering buying a Chinook Premier/Concourse 22ft long with low miles for about 30K USD. I would paint it silver and upgrade the interior and drive train. My plan would be to live in for 3 months at a stretch each year for the next 10 years during winters and tour North America and work remotely connected via Starlink. I won't tow. I ask for your advice:
- on V8 460 (pre-1998 or so) versus V10: worth going out of my way to source one with the V10, or is V8 all right? Or should I, in fact, get a 7.3 Diesel?
- on handling and traction preferences between RWD and 4x4: Have you felt the need for handling and traction improvements, what have they been?
- if 4x4, which conversion company to use, as their specs and handling differ: I am thinking of Advanced 4x4 in Utah. My expectation is to drive safely on snow and BLM terrain and Baja, and not have the van wobble terribly on washboard tracks. No need for rock crawling. Their conversion should cost about 15-20K including new tires, bumpers, etc. As alternatives, I'm considering Timberline in Colorado (because there is an amazing rig in San Diego for sale currently that is inspired by that type of conversion), and Ujoint (which has been often cited as the most expensive and most highly rated).
- whether cutting a window roughly where the stove or rear closet is is feasible or a really really bad idea (there seems to be an internal duct or support structure in that area)
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Your view on Chinook issues for a newbie like me

Post by 68camaro »

Beaknecht,

I'll start by tacking a couple I have opinion or experience with.

First, on what engine, I think that is really what you plan to do, I like the V10 and it has plently passing power on highway plus takes hills no problem, but I am on east. My own opinion is the diesel at same price of V10 is a wash, but I doubt you will find at same price. If you are not towing heavy I don't see big benefit of diesel, personally.

On handling, I looked at 4x4 but decided on east coast I wouldn't need 4x4 because the size and width of Concourse is limiting factor in our wooded off road areas. However, the mods I made along with lift while sticking with 2WD made drivability much better than stock. Upgrading brakes was big help.

On east coast I would absolutely use Ujoint for conversion, I even went down there to explore making mine 4x4. I think on west coast you have several good options so not sure the trip out here will give you alot of benefit. Your quoted price at Advanced in Utah with bumper seems super good deal.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
beaknecht

Post by beaknecht »

Thank you for your perspective and guidance.

How well suited are ford chinooks for long distance driving with regards to mpg and handling/driving enjoyment? I ask because a fair percentage of used chinooks are available with low miles, while comparatively a lower percentage of say dodge roadtreks have low miles.
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

Beaknecht—I think it’s hard to give a definitive answer here—a Roadtrek on a Dodge Van chassis is more akin to a van than a Chinook, which, let’s face it is a 5 1/4 ton dual wheel truck like vehicle for all intents and purposes. And generally you’ll get a smoother road ride in a Roadtrek than you will in one of our Rigs. As for mileage, figure 11-13 mpg on the open road for our Rigs compared to about 15 or so for Roadtrek. BUT, don’t get me wrong…I would choose a Chinook any day. First of all, if you are going to spend any length of time on the Road, the Chinook has A LOT more room. And, there are lots of things you can do to improve your ride in a Chinook…beefed up front steering stabilizer, rear sway bar, quality shocks, new front end (2008) with better brakes, good tires/properly aired. Hell, some people have even swapped out seats! All of which have been discussed at length here on the forum. I have driven my 2004 Premier back and forth across the country several times in the last 7 years, logging 130,000 miles. I cruise at 70-75 on the interstate without a problem, and can drive all day without strain. But that’s me…not everyone is as crazy about lighting out for the territory ahead as I am. Choosing between a Roadtrek and a Chinook is about more than the comfort of the ride.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
David
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

beaknecht wrote: March 25th, 2023, 9:05 am Thank you for your perspective and guidance.

How well suited are ford chinooks for long distance driving with regards to mpg and handling/driving enjoyment? I ask because a fair percentage of used chinooks are available with low miles, while comparatively a lower percentage of say dodge roadtreks have low miles.
I regularly drive mine 6 - 10 hours and think it drives great, especially with custom leaf springs, bigger breaks and steering stabilizer etc. It passes and climbs hills with no problems, wind blowing sideways can be scary. Gas averages about 9 - 10 mpg on highways depending on going grade of road. I don't do cross-country so can't address that.

Alot of RV's are bought but really not used much, mine is 2001 and only had 70k miles or so when I bought it, that only works out to 4k miles a year. No idea why Roadtreks are used more.

The nice thing about long drives is you can pull off road most anywhere and can rest in back before restarting trip. I use this alot, up early, fish till mid afternoon, start drive home, rest for 1 hour at some point, and finish drive refreshed.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.