How to remove cushions from jacknife sofa?

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

How to remove cushions from jacknife sofa?

Post by Flame »

How do I remove the cushions from my jacknife sofa and leave the original frame in place? As someone suggested I will put a piece of plywood on it then and a foam mattress of sorts on that. I have looked close under there but could use a few details of the cushion removal. Thanks!
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark
Kirah
**Forum Contributor**

Re: How to remove cushions from jacknife sofa?

Post by Kirah »

Saw your PM, and since I don't see a way to send photos that way, I'll post them here :)

The back cushion is attached to a back frame thingy, which I just poked at with wrenches until I got the whole frame off. You can see in the photo below an arm thingy sticking up at either end. I never did figure out the 'right' way to remove those. I ended up just cutting them away using a reciprocating saw.

The bottom cushion might have been screwed on, at least in part? But the part I remember was cutting away the foam where it had been glued to the frame.
20161202_123800.jpg
Then I cut some boards to fit over the whole thing, from that wooden rail on the wall to the front edge of the steel frame. I think I might have had to add a shim for leveling somewhere in there, but I can't actually remember and my notes are non-existent.
20161218_145417.jpg
I did end up needing to top the boards with that non-skid stuff you put under rugs to keep the mattress from inching out into the walkway.

This was the end result (before I took the dinette out!)
20170930_140702.jpg
1999 Premier, now minus all passenger side cabinets and appliances :twisted:
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

Kirah, Thank you! That has certainly helped in my decision making.
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark
Djam6115

Post by Djam6115 »

Flame, by chance was your couch electric and did you save or reuse the ball screws that raised and lowered the back? I’m in search of one. Thanks
nuyt

Post by nuyt »

Hi,

As you say how do I remove the cushions from my jackknife sofa and leave the original frame in place? And someone suggested to you that I put a piece of plywood on it and some kind of foam mattress on it, so you've seen it closely below, but I could use some details on removing the cushion. Yes, you can buckle up. , In this you will have to do some processes. I usually do furniture work as well
Thanks!
JabberBox

Post by JabberBox »

The cushions have frames built into them which are in turn bolted to the folding couch frame using self tapping hex had screws. Simply locate and remove those screws and you will be left with just the metal folding frame of the couch. It isnt complicated.