Cummins Generator Maint.

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Cummins Generator Maint.

Post by 68camaro »

Just FWIW, I dropped my Chinook off at Cummins dealer to have Generator repaired and thoroughly gone thru. It's 21 years old with over 600 hours and recently would not start. Last year I did shade tree maintenance but it never purred (spurted occasionally) as I thought it should and starting up could be struggle. Well recently it decided not to start so I brought to Cummins as they specialize in Onan generators. They had quite a few diesel pushers there.

Shop took out generator and went thru it with fine-tooth comb. It had several issues, Genset not getting spark, Coil Wire shortening due to cover rubbed off, starter beginning to drag so replaced, flywheel removed and bushings replaced as they were very worn and torqued back to spec, carb checked & tweaked, gaskets, filters, and spark plug.

Mechanic said I am good to go for next 20+ years...When I started it up I couldn't believe how easy and smooth it started and it never ran as smooth and quiet since I bought it. Amazing difference.

Not cheap but well worth it.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
dells2000con

Re: Cummins Generator Maint.

Post by dells2000con »

Just started my generator after not being exercised properly over the winter.
Gonna need some work on mine.
I've been thinking about adding a 'primary' a inline filter between the tank and generator since the original one is so difficult to get at.
Should prevent the original filter from needing to be changed out, hopefully forever.
Since that rubber line between the tank and generator is exposed underneath the rig I'm looking at a metal one, not the plastic or glass ones.
I believe that is 1/4 fuel line so this should do I think.
Wix Filters 33449
2000 Concourse "Hummingbird edition" Triton V10 Banks Power kit
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I think you should removed the one in the generator since it will restrict the flow, and eventually, pieces of the filter material *may* break off and send it to the carburetor. The filter inside the genset is also metal type. I don't know if you are going to keep the rig for another 20/30 yrs, or how much you use your genset, but I don't plan on doing the filter change more than twice. Putting it external to the genset, you need to make sure it does not come off, or interfere with other part of the rig.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
starjots

Post by starjots »

68camaro wrote: April 4th, 2022, 5:09 pm Mechanic said I am good to go for next 20+ years...When I started it up I couldn't believe how easy and smooth it started and it never ran as smooth and quiet since I bought it. Amazing difference.

Not cheap but well worth it.
A lot cheaper than a new generator though, amirite? Our generator is 27 years old with hundreds of hours on it and is an absolute must for leaving the dogs inside during hot weather. Thanks for the tip.
sm350bl
**Forum Contributor**

Post by sm350bl »

Peace of mind is worth a million bucks. If you got out of there for less than that I would say you got a deal. :D
Rich
2000 Concourse 7.3L Powerstroke 4X4