Water pressure very low only using onboard water pump

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Water pressure very low only using onboard water pump

Post by 68camaro »

I have very low water pressure when using on-board water pump under couch, pressure when using city water is great. I don't see kinks or obstructions, is it just a water pump going bad or any ideas on other causes?

Thanks
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
JabberBox

Re: Water pressure very low only using onboard water pump

Post by JabberBox »

i always check the sediment bowl on the water pump and i also open the trunkcompartment and inspect for leaks anytime i have a water issue.
The reason i check the trunk is because i had a small leak back there from the sink tubes that was causing my pump to cycle constantly.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

JabberBox wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 5:12 pm i always check the sediment bowl on the water pump and i also open the trunkcompartment and inspect for leaks anytime i have a water issue.
The reason i check the trunk is because i had a small leak back there from the sink tubes that was causing my pump to cycle constantly.
Thanks, I checked for leaks and all good, I was going to tear apart pump and in-line strainer to see if that was problem and fix, but I decided motor and pump are 20 years old so probably best to replace both as abundance of caution especially since they are not that much.

Yesterday ordered an upgraded waterpump - "HydroMax RV Fresh Water Pump - 12 Volt - 3 Gallons Per Minute - 55 psi". This should fix problem, be a little quieter and give me stronger water flow than original Shurflo.

Also, got leaf springs measured and putting in order for those. Probably go 1-2" more than need to allow for future sagging.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Probably the diaphragm is getting worn and need replacement. Getting a new pump sounds like a good thing, particularly if you figure in the time to rebuilt the diaphragm. I would, however, keep the old pump, get the new diagram, and use it as a replacement. The Shurflo has great motor, and the parts are readily available. I do not have any experience with the HydroMax, but some of the reviews looks pretty good.

Also, clean the filter if you have one. Mine does not.... maybe I should get one consider how easy it is to get dirty into the tank.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

[quote=chin_k post_id=20032 time=1635012807 user_id=466

Also, clean the filter if you have one. Mine does not.... maybe I should get one consider how easy it is to get dirty into the tank.
[/quote]

Chin, I do keep old parts for reference and backup if can be repaired. My Shurflo has the recommended 50 mesh in-line filter, my new pump comes with one. Once I install new I'll try to rebuild old to see what problem was.

In college I worked as field tech for pool/spa company fixing pumps/filters/heatrers so this repair is in my comfort zone.

Just ordered new fuel filter for generator......always another project:)
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Have fun with the genset filter. I never did this before, but from what I watched, it is a real PITA to get to. The water pump was a walk in the park.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
daltonbourne

Post by daltonbourne »

Low water pressure with city water may result from the city's water source. Use an external pressure regulator to protect your RV from high water pressure that can cause leaks and damage.