Using DC Mode for Frige While Driving?

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
Deputy

Using DC Mode for Frige While Driving?

Post by Deputy »

Hi all. I have read comments about using propane vs DC while driving. I have a 3 Mode Dometic refrigerator in my 2002 Concourse. This gives me the option to use DC Mode. I am a bit nervous about leaving the propane on while driving so would prefer not to use that option. Previous comments are that 12v DC is a battery drain. My question is wouldn’t the batteries continue to be charging/charged since the vehicle is running? And, if so, what is the issue with using DC Mode to power the refrigerator while driving? I realize this DC Mode should be turned off while not driving but then I should be close to being able to use shore power for AC Mode.
caconcourse

Re: Using DC Mode for Frige While Driving?

Post by caconcourse »

I used DC mode while driving because we are not comfortable driving with the propane on. It works as you predict, but the drain is so much even when driving with the alternator the batteries don't get fully charged as they normally would. More than once, we forgot to turn off the DC mode when parking for lunch or a side trip and the batteries completely drained in less than an hour.

Then it turns out that the fridge doesn't even cool well when running in DC mode, because the electric heating element gets less watts in DC than it gets in AC mode.

One day we forgot to set the fridge to DC mode, and found out after driving several hours, the refrigerator was as cool or cooler than some days when it was running on DC. So we were starving the batteries for little or no benefit. Now we just leave the refrigerator off while driving, and let it operate like a cooler or icebox for a few hours. We turn on the propane for lunch stops or side trips. We also store a lot of drinking water (12oz bottles) in the freezer, so the freezer stays cold for hours.

So you are quite correct in theory about using DC mode while driving, but in practice it just didn't provide much benefit, while starving or draining the batteries.
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

I may be in minority but I only use propane for frig when driving. As caconcourse details using DC caused me all sorts of issues all the time and was not efficient at all. I also plug (AC) in a day before trip to get frig/freeze nice and cold before switching to propane.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Thank you caconcourse and 68camaro. Got to say it is not what I was hoping to hear but it does explain the sad deficiency of using DC Mode. I’m still a bit antsy about using the propane when I drive so I will either need to get over it or use the frige as a “cooler” until I stop and can plug in or turn on the propane.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

At minimum, make sure your Dometic is not on the recall list. If it is, get the recall kit installed.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

Like 68Camaro, we use the frig on propane when driving…Our Dometic was on the recall list and I did have the recall done—it is essentially a metal chamber built around the burner to keep a fire from spreading (supposedly). And I was feeling fine about that for the past couple of years until I read about the frig fire…So, I have subsequently scheduled to have our 17-year old Dometic rebuilt by those “Amish Frig Guys” (see frig fire post for link). Driving out to Indiana in September to have it done…sticking with the Ac/Gas rebuild instead of getting the “HVAC” type given my limited solar capacity and camping/use patterns…but I feel like their more robust equipment will give me the added level of comfort and frig capabilities I can happily live with.
David
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Thank you chin_k for the heads up. I checked and, sure enough, my refrigerator is on the recall list. Never would have known this without your comment. What a great resource this forum is. THANKS!
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Watching each others back is the least that we can do.

It costed me nothing to do the recall, but we have to bring it in twice, which is a hassle. Once for them to check the serial number and "inspection" and the second time is after the kit arrived at the service center, and do the actual install. I have similar experience with other recalls on my vehicles, where they have to check before sending out the part.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Roly

Post by Roly »

My 1998 Premier came with a Norcold 3-way fridge. Fits in there just like the Dometic... I wonder if this was often done?

Roly
1998 Premier
NUUKEEE

Post by NUUKEEE »

Greetings Chinook Nation,

Thanks to this post, I called Dometic and after giving the customer svc gal many specific refer & vehicle numbers, they confirmed the recall was done on my 1999 Chinook in 2009.
With that info in mind, I feel a bit safer and I had them send me a letter to confirm the recall work was done for my records.

Cheers ...
1999 Chinook Concourse - Pretty Much Stock !!