Rear View Camera

Stuff that goes in your Chinook but isnt really part of your Chinook.
SMan

Rear View Camera

Post by SMan »

I recently installed a simple hard wired two channel rear view camera. Because the seal in the rear door glass has failed I wanted to see a bit better while traveling and will use it basically as a rear view mirror. (Yeah I should fix the glass but the glass shops I have been to declined) I have the second camera connected loosely to a 15' cable (behind drivers seat) and have it mounted to a small piece of masonite allowing it to free stand and use it while parked or at night to set on the table, dash, or counter to see outside.

The install was simple except for the routing of the 4 pin wire of the camera mounted above the rear door. Un-screwing the trim piece above the (interior) rear door allowed access to pull down the carpet and mounting the camera and running wire. (The camera is mounted with stainless steel machine screws w/washers) I dismantled the interior of the rear storage compartment and found a route behind the shower and along the drivers side back wall to allow for an inside path. I then routed the camera wires through the wire "trench" under the drivers side entry step. I added a fuse tap to the fuse block under the dash for power which was simple and took only a few minutes.

We are taking a trip to Tucson next month and I will update how it worked. I am not great at pictures but added a few and also info on the camera. Camera is from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PN ... UTF8&psc=1

Pics:
Attachments
Camera w/ss machine fasteners
Camera w/ss machine fasteners
Screen made to be portable with velcro on base
Screen made to be portable with velcro on base
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Rear View Camera

Post by HoosierB »

Good write up on this type of camera install. Question: Because of the wide angle views of these cameras, and its location (above and behind the rear entry door), does the door protrusion come into the camera's view?
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
SMan

Re: Rear View Camera

Post by SMan »

HoosierB wrote: September 13th, 2019, 6:04 am Good write up on this type of camera install. Question: Because of the wide angle views of these cameras, and its location (above and behind the rear entry door), does the door protrusion come into the camera's view?
Thanks Hoosier. In the position it is in now I cannot see the door protrusion. You can see the top edge of the door when opened at its normal 90 degree to the back. It works great backing up to the garage. The current placement is at it's highest adjustment allowed by the mounting bracket.

Considerations for the location were driven by being able to easily use thru bolts rather than screws. I did want a high camera for travel instead of license frame level. Although I would have preferred to have it left of the center marker light it was MUCH easier to both fish the wire and bolt the mounting bracket using the spot to the right. It could be done however. I don't have any road miles on it as of yet and expect I may make make some adjustments.

One other observation.....I found that a step drill bit (like from Harbor Freight) worked excellent for drilling the hole for the 4 pin Camera cable. Drilled the hole easily with no chipping at all. The two small holes for the bracket I started with a countersink and used a regular drill bit. This worked for me. I'm sure others have different methods.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10