Replacement of bathroom roof vent lens (covers light bulbs)

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
Blue~Go

Replacement of bathroom roof vent lens (covers light bulbs)

Post by Blue~Go »

My 1999 Chinook came with the typical-for-this-era bathroom roof vent/fan that includes a light as well. The lens for the light was yellowed, cracked, and held up by tape. Nice! Although I will likely replace the whole vent unit with a Fantastic Vent at some point, this just had to go.... NOW.
bathroom vent original.jpg
After some hunting, I found what looked like an exact replacement. I wasn't positive, but ordered one from Amazon to try (I also saw it on a few RV sites). This is the part information from the side of the lens:
Replacement lens part number info.jpg
It arrived and was an exact match, except brand new, not cracked, and white! Here are old and new side by side:
old and new.jpg
The design really has a weak point where the screws hold it up into the fan (two screws). I added washers, and may glue something on to strengthen it (or may simply replace the whole works with a Fantastic Vent and separate light).

For now I have a shiny new white lens, with no tape needed to hold it up :D And it was one of those "five minute" fixes that really did only take around five minutes (after I found the darned thing... that took longer). No picture of the finished project (and I can only put in three per post anyway), but just imagine the top photo with a brand new lens. Ahhhh.

If you look closely at the old one, you can see that the bulbs probably hastened the yellowing (you can see darker blobs where the bulbs would be behind it). I don't tend to leave it on for that reason, but if I were to keep this fixture longer term, I'd probably replace the bulbs with LEDs for that reason (they run cooler) (plus using less power).
1999 Concourse