Adding a refrigerator fan - best location

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Adding a refrigerator fan - best location

Post by 68camaro »

Need advice on best place to add refrigerator fan to get better performnce out of fridge. I think there are three possible places:

1. Inside fridge on cooler fins on inside back wall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO3EppMBfvE I do use a small battery operated Fridge fan so is anything else even needed?
2. Under roof cover to bring hot air up and out;
3. Behind refrigerator access cover on side of rig, either on the coil piping or attached to inside of cover to take hot air down and out

Also, to avoid unnecessary 12v battery drain when not using fan, will I need to install an on/off switch before it gets the the 12v power supply?

I just replaced Dinosaur card and while I stink at electricity I think I got it right, LP been running since morning when before it would click off quickly. However, to get going I did need to run van on DC power than after 10 min switch to LP.

Thanks
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Adding a refrigerator fan - best location

Post by chin_k »

Mine came with a solar fan that is installed on the outside, near the "chimney" of the fridge. It odes not last long (plastic solar panel), and the fan blades were already crumbed, so I removed it.

The #1 is the cheapest and easiest way to go, but it does not do as much other than making it more efficient, and more uniform temperature. #2 is more effective to get the fridge to work. The down side is that it is more difficult to install and service, compare to #3.

Try to park the rig with the fridge on the north side, it will help a little.

I have no clue about the part about running on DC and switch to LP after 10 minutes.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis