Bearing slide, full extension drawers for under the stove cabinet with drawings...

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Bearing slide, full extension drawers for under the stove cabinet with drawings...

Post by HoosierB »

VTSweetpea.... I really like this idea! Very efficient use of space and repurpose of the cab doors.
I may hijack this concept for my galley remodel.

Good job!
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
VTSweetpea

Re: Bearing slide, full extension drawers for under the stove cabinet with drawings...

Post by VTSweetpea »

HoosierB wrote: March 10th, 2019, 2:35 pm VTSweetpea.... I really like this idea! Very efficient use of space and repurpose of the cab doors.
I may hijack this concept for my galley remodel.

Good job!
Thanks HoosierB! Hijack all you want. No licensing fee required. :)
2001 Concourse 4x4
VTSweetpea

Post by VTSweetpea »

Dano wrote: March 10th, 2019, 1:32 pm Hey, that's a nice looking job, well done! I like the front height to accommodate taller items! Amazing how another design instantly makes you second guess your own :lol:
Dano- The general concept is basically the same for both of our designs- make better use of the space and better access. So I would say "Great minds think alike!" :lol:
2001 Concourse 4x4
Dano
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Dano »

Absolutely! Looking forward to getting mine finished, hopefully today! :D
"Jewels" - '02 Chinook Concourse XL
SMan

Post by SMan »

Looking forward to the finished picks Dano.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Dano
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Dano »

Still waiting for the slides to be delivered....(insert Jeopardy theme song here) ;)
Dano
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Dano »

Just got here!! Alright, so after some figgerin', I got the slides screwed on. Need to make sure you raise the bottom off the ground, the height of the cabinet opening plus another 1/4" so the drawer clears since our cabinets have a raised lip on the front. Also, make sure the top drawer is down 1/2" from the top so it clears the door catches. Everything is level and the soft close hinges nest the drawers really nicely. The have a tightly closed feature where you need to give it a small tug to disengage the mechanism to open it. This will keep them closed while under way. If I did it correctly, the drawer faces are about 3/8" forward of the bearing slides and side panels so they stick out into the opening but not so far as to impeded the door when it closes. I guess we'll see when I go install it!! :lol:
Attachments
5309.jpg
5311.jpg
5310.jpg
Dano
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Dano »

It fits! Overall, I'm pleased. The gaps are pretty nice, nothing is hitting or touching so for a first pass, at least the basics are correct. The drawers are tight. The slide smoothly but the soft close feature. just barley makes it. Now, the way I'm looking at it, that's not a bad thing because they won't be sliding out since they are snug. The RV itself is parked on a bit of an angle so it might be torquing the drawers a bit so I am going to wait to see how they work when everything is on a level plane before I take it out and start making changes. They might just loosen up a tad. I took the top shot on an angle, everything is perfectly straight.
Attachments
6181.jpg
6177.jpg
6175.jpg
Last edited by Dano on March 11th, 2019, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dano
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Dano »

This shot sort of shows the drawers sticking out beyond the bearing slides into the cabinet opening. They stick out 3/8" or so beyond the mounting sides but about 3/8" inside, so the doors don't hit when they close.
Now, onto the practical side. This beast, when all is said and done weighs in at 22 pounds! I could have used 1/2" sides rather than 5/8", I could have used half inch pine box sides and 1/8" bases and might have been able to shave off 3-5 pounds. The bearing slides must weight 3-5 pounds, they are surprisingly robust. If anyone was planning something like this, I'd budget on a 15 pound gain at the minimum. Not bad for the convenience but still not light!
Attachments
6180.jpg
SMan

Post by SMan »

Nice job Dano! Look really good.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10