Roof top AC dead

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Root top AC dead

Post by chin_k »

OK, took the underside off. It is a Dometic 630515.331C unit. The fan is not spinning because it is rubbing on the plastic lip of the air opening that blows air into the living area. There is a metal clip that I think is for balancing the squirrel cage, and it make a click sound when it spin pass the plastic lip. Maybe this is a mechanical problem, but I think I will need to get on the top side to see how the fan is mounted and see if I can adjust the squirrel cage so that it can spin freely.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Roof top AC dead

Post by chin_k »

Got on the roof, and removed the shroud, as well as the cover on top of the squirrel cage fan. I see the motor supposes to be attached to the chassis (of the AC) by two rubber mounts. One mount has a bolt that is loose, and the other one have the bolt on the top of the bottom of the chassis. Apparently, the vibration caused the mount to come off, and made the fan not able to rotate. There is one single nut on the bottom of the case, but it does not look like it belongs anywhere. Must be an AC tech waiting to go home on a Friday afternoon. :roll: I think it is a replacement unit, so it is not the Chinook builder fault.

Anyway, I temporarily put the dislodged bolt back on, and tightened the other, and the fan is back on business. :)

Here is what I need help on.
1, anyone know if there is a washer/nut/etc on the bolts? Right now, they just bolt (more like slide) onto the rubber mount, and do not look like there is anything holding it in place other than mere friction, since I don't think there is a metal insert inside the rubber mount.

2, now the fan is working, I found that it is a lot more quiet than when I first got it. The issue with that is the compressor is making the roof top vibrates, and it is more apparent now. So any of you know if there is a way to quiet it down, or I just remove one of the fan motor mounts, and make it noisy like when I first got it? :lol:
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I found that Dometic has a fan motor service kit that has the parts that very likely going to match my unit. It contains washers, inserts, nylon lock nuts, and the grommets. Hopefully, it is the right kit for my model. Whoever installed the AC must be in a hurry.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Arggggggh, don't you just hate sloppy workmanship? :x :x

But good you found there is a rebuild kit.

BTW, since you have the inner shroud off (I think?) you might want to check the main gasket and the fasteners that hold the unit to the roof. There are either three or four (at least on my original one). They don't go through holes in the roof, but rather just go up through the main 14" hold and "sandwich" the roof. In that sandwich is a thick rubber gasket on the roof. Two things:

1) Mine were "hand loose" when I went in there to remove my AC. Had I been keeping it up there I would have tightened them.

2) But on the other hand I have read that one can easily overtighten and hence over-smush that gasket. So it's a balancing act.

3) If it's already over-smushed (cuz craftsmanship :roll:) you may want to put a new one in while you are in there.
1999 Concourse
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

chin_k wrote: March 4th, 2019, 8:28 pm Apparently, the vibration caused the mount to come off, and made the fan not able to rotate.
Sounds like your air conditioner will appreciate your new shocks!
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

The hardware is only like $12, so it is not too bad, but it just bad that a few minutes of time to put the proper nuts and washers would have save me hours of time to take it apart, and figure out the issue. Imagine the hassle if this happened when I am out in the desert camp ground, or if the fan blade cut/nick one of the AC wires?

The gasket is kind of sloppy work there but I am going to leave it alone, since it seems to be doing its job alright. Thank you for pointing out these possible issue, Blue.

I am going to see if there is anything I can put on the compressor to make it vibrate less. I did not take a good look at the mounts to see if there is same level of professionalism on the compressor.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I found a third mounting point on the motor under the shaft, and it is where the "extra" nut I found on the bottom of the case is for. The service kit I ordered is not the right one, so I end up buying hardware from the store instead. The fan is spinning nice and smooth right now.

I redo a section of the gasket that partitions the cold section from the hot section. I also figured out why the compressor is making a loud noise. one of the rubber feet is compressed and the side of the compressor is lower. This makes one of the bolts that hold the compressor onto the enclosure making contact with the roof, and make a loud noise. I insert a think piece of foam under the feet, and the noise went away. Now the loudest things in the rig are the gen set, and obviously the horn.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Nice going - thorough job!

This is why I always think 'I wish' when people ask me why I don't just have "professionals" do things. I mean, I know there are real pros out there, but geez, they are few and far between.
1999 Concourse