Adding rooftop storage, is this ill-advised?

Anything that goes behind your Chinook, flat, trailer, toys.
TheBluebird

Adding rooftop storage, is this ill-advised?

Post by TheBluebird »

Hello,

I read most of the Roof Storage threads and am wondering if it is a bad idea to add rooftop storage to my 2003 Chinook Concourse. It does not have the racks. While I would LOVE to add the $6000 safari-style metal rooftop storage, that is not in my budget. However this white plastic storage (see photo) is.

Is any special reinforcement needed? I drove my Chinook out west in August and there were some SERIOUS 70mph side winds, which is why this gives me pause. Plus I hate to drill holes in the roof. Yet, I am going to be fulltiming for at least five months. I sure need that extra space.

Ideally, I'd like to install a storage box that lines up behind the airconditoner to help with forward winds. I believe I have 40" wide by 28 and about a foot tall. That would result in installing something like this.

Let me know what you advise, thank you!
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-10-07 19.40.23.png
Screenshot 2018-10-08 14.57.19.png
Fulltiming in my 2003 Concourse since November 2018.
Blue~Go

Re: Adding rooftop storage, is this ill-advised?

Post by Blue~Go »

A number of Chinooks came stock with the short/squat Yakima type boxes on the roof. Of course anything you add up top will have an effect, but that's obvious. Mount it well and load it appropriately (no storing your lead bars up there) and things will probably be fine.

While I have no problem mounting solar panels with only VHB tape (with appropriately large foot surface area), I don't think I'd feel comfortable mounting a roof box that way alone. I'd want fasteners into the roof. And that calls for some sort of either core reinforcement (what they did originally for the roof box equipped models), or backing plates (on the inside of the rig) or both. So you'd be looking at getting into the roof core. The standard roof core is just basically foam or honeycombed plastic, so it can't hold fasteners. You could perhaps hollow out an area, fill it with thickened epoxy, then drill and tap (this construction is similar to cored boats, so I'm thinking along those lines). You could add VHB tape to the feet as a second line of fastening (also with some butyl or something to bed the fastener holes).

For a box on the tippy top layer, I suppose you could consider vertically mounted brackets on the "side edges" of the top tier. Those would be sort of more in shear than tension (kinda, depending on forces). That vertical edge is probably not cored, so you could through bolt easily. A box that doesn't only sit on the top tier wouldn't be able to only use those vertical flanges.

This is all just musing as I decided to eschew roof-top storage. My reasons: Windage, hassle loading and unloading, and I wanted more space for solar panels (with least shading). I would probably go to Swing Away rear box, a frame mounted box in lieu of the spare tire (off to the side of the door - my spare is up front now), or a small trailer before loading up the roof (but that's just me; not saying that applies to others).

Towing a car also gives you lots of gear storage - plus a car; but that does cut into the spontaneity of travel while you are driving the Chinook, especially if you are solo. Something to consider though. I have towed a car part time (depends on the trip; sometimes I want to park the Chinook and fanning out with a car is perfect - other times I want to drive the Chinook itself spontaneously more like a big van, so then towing a car would be a bummer).
1999 Concourse
TheBluebird

Post by TheBluebird »

Thank you. I'm still pondering my options. I've also noticed rooftop storage soft-sided bags for cars. So far haven't found one the right dimensions for a Chinook. Plus, they are oriented the wrong way, and not sure if I could securely lash one down.
Fulltiming in my 2003 Concourse since November 2018.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Always good to consider your options. Depending on what you want to store, there may be some other ideas. For example, some people put lightweight chairs behind the ladder (maybe in a zippered bag). Bike can go on a front hitch, etc.

I go up on the roof from time to time (love having a built in ladder ready instantly), but I don't think I'd enjoy taking stuff up and down (especially solo). When I do have to bring tools or etc. up I usually do it boat style and fill a bucket then haul it up and down with a rope. But that's only rarely and I have to be careful not to let it swing into the body of the Chinook. You might feel differently though (or with two people you could hand stuff to the other vs. climbing the ladder with it).
1999 Concourse