Adding a larger tv help!!

Stuff that goes in your Chinook but isnt really part of your Chinook.
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Adding a larger tv help!!

Post by Flame »

1998 Concourse. Previous owner added a swing out bracket and a 18 or 19 inch flat screen tv. I want to install a larger screen tv but still be able to "swing" it back in place. I have taken a lot of measurments and it looks like I may can upgrade to at least a 24 inch tv. One thing I also would love to get away from is picture distortion when looking at it from different angles...example: laying down below it or in a chair off to the side of it. I'm sure some of you know exactly what I am talking about. Also... what size tv are others using and how are they having to adapt. Any particular brand I need to be looking at or special model that can be seen clearly from any angle???
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Adding a larger tv help!!

Post by HoosierB »

This is a tough one. I also looked into various flat screen sizes and locations for the install. While a 22-24" screen is possible, the tough call is location for max viewing at "any angle". Most have hooked up a 15-19" model on a swing-out wall-mount arm in the old TV cavity location. After removing the OEM tube, I really liked the extra access opening for storage and decided not to do that type of mod. I did buy an Axess 22" 1080 LED HDTV (it has a 12v input, too). And because most of our movie collection is on Blu-ray Disc, a Sony player will be in the old VHS slot. I have not done this mod as yet, but I'm thinking of mounting it to the large oak cabinet door center of the bulkhead (like in the attached pic). I found a wall mount (no extension arm) that has some side to side adjustment. The oak door with heavy-duty struts will support the new light weight TV.
Flat screen attached to oak cabinet door
Flat screen attached to oak cabinet door
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I don't watch TV (I stare at my laptop screen instead :P ) but if I did - and I wanted good angles from most seating positions - I think I'd go with Hoosier's setup of the screen on the center door.

It's possible you'd want a heavier strut (or maybe two struts, one on each side, so they wouldn't have to be so powerful with the concomitant force placed on the mounting, etc.), but you could see how it goes.
1999 Concourse
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

HoosierB, my setup is exactly as you described!! My 19 inch is on the swingout and is located in the old tv area but...I must say when it swings out and over, it is directly in front of that center compartment door you spoke of so basically the same location you are thinking of. I like mine like this because I store blankets and sunscreen skirts behind the big center compartment door and visit it regularly. I went back out and studied my swinging mounting bracket more. I realize it DOES NOT tilt up and down. Only left and right. Being able to tilt mine down I believe would solve a lot of my problems. I researched e-bay and found one that says it swings out and turns left and right 90 degrees but also will tilt down 20 degrees!! Only $15.99 and free shipping. Will hold up to 55 pounds, Maybe by tilting down it would solve the bad view angle. I would like to go with a 25 inch and maybe find one that claims daytime "glare" does not bother the brightness of the picture.
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I think most of the viewing angle issue has improved in recent years. But if you get a TV with OLED screen, it will pretty much not an issue at all. I have not look around for the TV yet, but it will be great if I can find one with 12 V DC input. Most are 19V DC, however.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
SMan

Post by SMan »

The setup I changed to was also the Axess 12V LED TV(w/DVD) . My articulating mount is in the place of the original TV and works well although you can't be to far off angle. Hasn't been a big issue as mine swivels to any angle I need. It works well in combination with the Pioneer double Din DVD player I replaced the VCR with.
Attachments
Chinook AV upgrades 001.JPG
Chinook AV upgrades 004.JPG
Chinook AV upgrades 002.JPG
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Dano
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Dano »

If anyone wants to go this route: A 39" flat screen can fit inside the large flip up door lengthwise and still be turned inside the cabinet so it lays flat left to right (driver to passengers side direction). Once out, I plan on hanging mine by two brackets that drop down from the lower edge and hold the TV right at eye level in front of the two front chairs. The only downside is you need to put it away when under way and take it out when you want to use it. I'd rather a bigger set that is hidden than a smaller set that is visible. Hope this is a good alternative for someone...
"Jewels" - '02 Chinook Concourse XL
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

Dano, I looked into this setup as well. If I understand you correctly, the TV would slide out flat and then "fold down" out of the overhead cabinet?
My concern was it seems to eliminate any opportunity for storage items if you don't want anything resting on the TV while laying flat in the cabinet.
I see the need to put the TV "away" as an upside, not a downside. Any pics of your setup?
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Dano
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Dano »

Hoosier, here is a cheap mockup. Make two brackets that hold the TV whatever distance you want it to hang down for your viewing angle. My door is not shown since it is off but assume your door would be in the up or open position. You remove the TV that is being stored above and hang it in the cradles of the brackets. When finished, return the TV to its storage. I think I saw one person use brackets that bolted to the back of the TV so it wouldn’t be cradled as much as hung. When stored though, those brackets would presumably always be attached and would stick up. I think leaving TV above would be okay as long as you stored lightweight items like linens, blanket, pillow, etc. The TV only weighs 10 pounds so light items wouldn’t crush or damage it I don’t think. The red image on the side is a side view of the bracket so you can get an idea for what it looks like. The second image is a shorter bracket with the green area representing the screw that goes into the back of the TV to fix it to the bracket. The door is only 27” wide so the TV needs to be slid in sideways first and then rotated in. The only two sizes that I could find are a 32” or a 39" that will fit. A 32” is a breeze whereas a 39” needs to be measured carefully to make sure it turns into the cabinet because it’s tight. The width/length of the TV is the limiting factor that prevents it from getting past the corner of the cabinet trim and allowing it to turn and the depth of the overhead cabinet won't allow much beyond that length either. Hopefully this all makes sense! Letme know if anything needs clarifying...Dano
Attachments
TV Mockup.jpg
"Jewels" - '02 Chinook Concourse XL
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I'm not a TV person, but ... Dano... I'm intrigued by what I can kind-of see going on in your rig to the sides of the photos. Projects! Potential "guts" photos! I don't know why reading/seeing those is so satisfying, but it is :D

(Good illustration though - I could immediately "see" exactly what you were describing.)
1999 Concourse