Passenger side remodel idea

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Kirah
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Passenger side remodel idea

Post by Kirah »

This project stalled for a couple of years ( life :roll: ) but is actually moving again!

For the section behind the plywood divider, where the fridge and closet were, I decided to try out a wall of shallow cubbies. Behold, prototype from big-box flatpack:
IMG_1485.jpg
It's screwed to that plywood divider on the side, and also into the few bits of wood along the back wall, under the carpet and around the back of the fridge. I also filled the bottom row with heavy stuff - bottled water and tools. I added large-ish cup hooks to either side and ran a bit of rope across each row to prevent the bins sliding out. It is not a long-term solution, but it worked reasonably well for a few hours' driving and let me try this idea without stuff crashing around when I go around corners.

This is a very successful prototype, IMO.
  • It provides a ton of useful storage, organized but easily accessed. I still had empty bins in the top row at the end of a week-long trip!
  • It gives me elbow room (and butt and shoulder room) when coming in the back door, putting coats on/off, leashing up the dog, drying off after a shower, etc.
  • The top of the cubbies and the exposed ledge of the generator compartment provide a little drop space for setting things down temporarily.
I also decided that I really do want a more normal fridge near the kitchen (instead of the cooler-style one up by the cab), and I had added enough storage that I could give some up again, so I bought a little 3 CF AC/DC fridge that will be installed where those metal shelves are, under counter height.

So, now I know what I'm building out, it's time to finish the destruction! I took out all the temporary shelving and have started tearing out the carpet. The main walkway came out reasonably easily, apart from the bit glued to the steps, so I'm down to arguing with the sections that have electrical or propane lines punched through them, which i have to cut around. Then new wall surfaces will go in and I'll start building the permanent (ish :lol: ) cabinetry. And maybe curtains!
1999 Premier, now minus all passenger side cabinets and appliances :twisted:
dells2000con

Post by dells2000con »

eporter123 wrote: November 4th, 2018, 9:14 pm I found that some of the floor bolts have a “heat shield” covering them. Chinook installed this along the length of the frame, before they put the shell on. SO, the problem is you can’t just remove the heat shield to get at those few bolts, and would have to cut an access hole, etc.

I had a bolt that moved up and down, but wouldn’t drop out. I pulled up on it, and then drove several wood screws next to it at an angle to lock it in it’s hole. Then I cut it flush with the angle grinder and finally added some construction adhesive to seal the hole. Should work...
We are considering a modification or our dinette. This thread revealed something I hadn't considered, the seatbelt bolts toward the center of the aisle.
If these two bolts can't be removed do you remember how high they stuck up out of the floor if they didn't go flush to the floor? I'm hoping to make these changes reversible so I can put the dinette back to original if desired.

Thank you.
2000 Concourse "Hummingbird edition" Triton V10 Banks Power kit
Kirah
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Kirah »

dells2000con wrote: December 21st, 2021, 12:09 pm
We are considering a modification or our dinette. This thread revealed something I hadn't considered, the seatbelt bolts toward the center of the aisle.
If these two bolts can't be removed do you remember how high they stuck up out of the floor if they didn't go flush to the floor? I'm hoping to make these changes reversible so I can put the dinette back to original if desired.

Thank you.
The bolts hold the end of the seatbelt right down to the carpet, without a lot of wiggle, plus the depth of the bolt head. They're not obnoxiously tall or anything - I still have the ones nearer the front of the coach (just because I haven't gotten them cut out yet). It's not been a rush for me because they kind of bury themselves in the carpet and aren't sharp to step on. Even after taking out the carpet, I just throw a rug over them. (They are coming out before I lay new flooring, but this project is, well, not at the top of my list right now)

The bigger issue for being able to reverse the changes, though, is that I didn't see any non-destructive way for the seatbelts to be removed from the bolts - the bolts go right through the webbing. So you'd end up with these lengths of seatbelt, and their buckles, kind of out in the walkway.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I have no clue, since I have not remove the carpet on mine, but can't you remove the bolt and replace it with a carriage bolt so that it can be reversed later? Don't they go down to the bottom of the coach, so you can hit down on them and they should pop out on the bottom, etc., or it is not what I think?
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Kirah
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Kirah »

Some of the bolts don't seem to be accessible from underneath.

I had no interest in keeping the seat belts as an option, so I just cut through the bolts with an angle grinder. Most of them dropped out to the ground, but one is right above a tank or something underneath and is still in the hole, hundreds of miles later. Without removing whatever is installed under there (sounds metallic and hollow, FWIW - maybe the propane tank?), I don't see how you could replace the bolts in the same holes.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I guess if the next person need to put this back, they can try to install rivet nuts for the one that you cut off. Do not know if that will be strong enough for seat belt, but maybe they are.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis