Manchester Propane Tank Replacement

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
michael7177

Manchester Propane Tank Replacement

Post by michael7177 »

I need to replace my Manchester Propane Tank (18.8 gallon) in my 2000 Chinook Concourse.

Any suggestions?

I contacted Manchester via their contact form. I am in Lake Forest, CA and I see they have a branch in Walnut CA, (40 miles north) and will try to call them at 909-594-0258.

The local RV service says it'll be at $2000 and will take 45 days or more for delivery and a day to install. I’m told long delivery time and expense this is because it needs to be built custom because the standard ones now bolt from above. I'm told my Chinook propane tank bolts horizontally to the frame.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Manchester Propane Tank Replacement

Post by chin_k »

I remember there is a few members here who had to deal with the tank replacement. You may want to do a quick search and see if you can find anything useful if no one specifically come to address your situation.

For example:
search.php?keywords=manchester

Good luck.
BobW9

Post by BobW9 »

This is just a copy from a posting of mine at viewtopic.php?f=13&t=876&p=18171&hilit= ... ter#p18171

Mine, too, bolts on the side - model 6820. You might want to check the size of your tank, or even see if you can find the model number on it, just to be certain its the same as yours.

I purchased a new tank from the distributor below a couple years ago for my 2000 Concourse (the exact model as the original), worked out well so long as you can wait for it. I think it took about 5 or 6 weeks. I went on their website and filled out some info and the guy below, Bill, called me back, as he was the rep for my area in Maryland.

Oh, and make sure about shipping, as I believe it ended up Manchester always uses some commercial trucking with fairly large trucks, so I needed to tell them I live in a small development at the end of a court and to be sure to use a smaller truck so they could get in and around the circle. I think that came after the order and the tank was built, as Manchester was shipping direct to me, not through Tarantin, and called me when they were ready to ship.

Manchester 6820 propane tank (12"x42"), around $725 was his estimate including shipping, but I think it came out about $700 even. Then I had a local RV shop remove the old one and install the new, and also a new regulator (the tank does not come with any and Tarrantin doesn't sell them).

Bill Lawson
Director of Inside Sales/Customer Service
Tarantin Industries, Inc.
86 Vanderveer Road
Freehold, NJ 07728
800 922 0724 x1125
2000 Concourse, Ford Triton 6.8 V10
michael7177

Post by michael7177 »

I ordered a new propane tank from Tarantin Industries on 2021-04-08. It’s just like the 22 year old one. I’m having it shipped to a local professional RV service place. But with today's news I’m thinking about canceling my order with Tarantin and finding another way.

The price was $950 including shipping and it will take 9 to 10 weeks for delivery. I asked why it’s $250 more and longer delivery time since last October 2020 they sent one in 5 to 6 weeks for $700. They said it’s the increase in the price of steel.

Today, 2021-04-30 Frank Erickson at Tarantin said it will be shipped August 2, 2021 to them in Virginia. He said it’s because of a steel shortage. That’s 16 weeks and 4 days with a unnecessary shipping route to them in VA then to me in CA. So add another 10 days or more to that. I told Frank Erickson at Tarantin who took my order to call Manchester and ask them to honor the original terms.

————
When this is all said and done, who wants a free rusty 22 year old propane tank in my area, Lake Forest, CA in Orange County?

It has a lot of rust but it’s still holding propane. The RV service said it’s leaking and I can occasionally faintly smell propane when outside but I don’t know if that’s normal or not.

https://www.tarantin.com/items/6820

Manchester RV Propane Tank #6820
12”X42” ASME, LOWER 45 VALVES

I am curious to see what the true condition of this tank is.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I understand that it maybe necessary to recover the cost of material price. But I wonder if they ever lower the price from invoice when it became cheaper due to price decrease? I am just a cynical old man at this stage, I guess.

Put the tank on craigslist, and maybe someone will come by and haul it away. With the cost of steel nowadays, I am sure someone will be making a few thousand dollars by bringing it to a recycle yard? :)
BobW9

Post by BobW9 »

That price increase and the extended time sucks. I don't understand why they want to ship to Tarantin first, as I'm certain mine came direct from Manchester.

To be clear, my earlier posting was from last October, but as I stated in the posting I purchased my tank a couple of years ago. Looking back at my service records, I think I ordered it end of July, 2018 and installed it in October.

I don't believe you should ever have even a slight propane smell. Certainly mine never has. And I would be concerned to smell propane when pulling into a gas station and getting near the pumps.
2000 Concourse, Ford Triton 6.8 V10
Cabman35

Post by Cabman35 »

Thanks to all who commented on the thread! It was a big help to understand how I wanted to proceed. The problem now is the Manchester 6820 replacement was stated to be 18 month delay. I was prepared for up to a year, hard to pull the trigger knowing it will be 18 months wait.

Hoping others have found another solution, anyone have work around or spare Manchester tank ?

Thanks,
Rob
michael7177

Post by michael7177 »

UPDATE
Propane replacement diagnosed 2021-03-24
Propane tank replaced 2021-08-11 118,167 milage

Propane tank is working great. The interval of propane filling has been extended from 6 weeks to 8 weeks on average.

I hear more clicking and louder poof when the fridge needs to ignite. But it's been working fine.
I wonder if the installers can adjust and improve their propane, etc. hook up to my fridge. But they moved from 2 miles to 25 miles away in a less desirable neighborhood so I've not visited them again. But when I do it will be something I want them to look into.