Side mirror length considerations

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Kweiler

Re: Side mirror length considerations

Post by Kweiler »

I was very happy to find this topic. I broke my mother's passenger side mirror and ordered the Velvac 2020 as a replacement based on measurement across the front of the 1999 concourse.

So sounds like it is a trade off between knocking into things and rear visibility distance?

I have installed a cling wide angle thingy in the back door that allows me to see behind me fairly well, so i don't think that the rear visibility will be a problem. (Some day would love a backup camera too!)

Mom does not like the idea of the mirrors not matching however and has asked me to search junkyards to find old ones - or replace both. I had originally hoped to find just the mirror as the arm is still intact and the head broke off at the "neck".

I am thinking finding an old replacement sounds like a bigger challenge.

Are you still happy with the 86s? @deppstein? Any tips on installation? I saw that this post seemed to be in reference to an earlier one maybe where you might have documented the replacement? (hoping). I have instructions but am still a little nervous about breaking something in the door panel.
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Side mirror length considerations

Post by deppstein »

Kweiler—Yes indeed, I am still very happy with the switch to 86’s. In the past 6 months, I have done a 5 week trip through the southern states, and another 3 week trip up through the Adirondacks and into Canada north of Montreal. Logged almost 7,000 miles and never though twice about visibility issues with my mirrors.
As for installation—I did not document..but found the instructions that came with my new mirrors to be clear and accurate. The install was easy and went very smoothly.
Hope this helps.
David