Removing tank display/switches

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Punches

Removing tank display/switches

Post by Punches »

2000 Premier. I thought I would share in case someone else has the same or similar problem. My water pump stopped working, and after doing some trouble shooting, I strongly suspected my switch went bad. Stopped and searched and couldn't find out how to take off the display with the switch on it. So, I removed the whole 'vent hood'. That required removing the microwave. Assuming that my water pump wire was yellow like I read on here and is hooked up to, I bypassed the switch with a wire from the hot, to the yellow wire on the connector. (Used multi meter to figure out which wire was hot.) Water pump worked. Pried off the front display, breaking the tabs in the process. Switched the wires to another switch to double check, pump didn't work so I was correct. Used the number on the switch to order a new one off Amazon. Glued the new tabs back on, and replaced the switch.

In the future, to easily remove display/switch panel push it up and lift out from the bottom. Or, I believe I could have pulled the switch out.

My plan is to remove/move (lots of wire back there to do so) that thing. I bought my Chinook not very long ago, and I am avoiding major remodels until I spend some time in it, and get all the systems working well.

Next on the list is to remove the generator so I can find out why I am not getting power to the spark plug. Gas tank is full, oil looks full and not overfull. Previous owner thinks a mouse chewed a wire. Any suggestions welcome.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Removing tank display/switches

Post by chin_k »

yeah, the panel is removed by lifting it up first then pull out.

For the genset, do you have power from the wire going to the spark plug? I think it is high voltage, and it should spark if you have the end near any ground. Make sure the gasoline and LP is not leaking when you troubleshoot. If there is no current, you may need to look into replace the control module. Take a look at the Onan service manual and see the trouble shooting step.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis