Rusty Propane Tank

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
BobW9

Re: Rusty Propane Tank

Post by BobW9 »

Merry Christmas, everyone! Or, Happy Holidays for those that don't celebrate Christmas :)

Browsing something brought about a chain of thoughts that lead me to realize I never finished this post on getting a new propane tank.

It took at good 9 weeks to get the new tank, but it finally came on a nice pallet right to my door. I took it to a local RV shop to install, as I didn't want to figure some way to jack up the Concourse, and might have had trouble getting the rusted bolts off, anyway. Besides, I'm much more comfortable working inside the vehicle than on the outside. The new tank is an exact replacement for the old tank, and slipped into the exact spot, even to the bolts (my RV guy put in new bolts with thread-locker sealing to help against future rusting, like you'd expect - but a highly recommended small truck shop, that I used to go to, twice re-used old rusted bolts and nuts!). Just what I was hoping for. Looks beautiful ;)

For anyone that wants an exact replacement like I did, I would recommend the Tarantin people. I think the shipping ended up $75, so it was just about a round $800 to get the new tank, plus installation.

It's hard to be exact about the installation cost - it was 3 hours total, but that labor included removing my black and gray tanks, as I am in the process of getting them replaced, too (the cracks in them that had been glued shut only lasted a couple of years consisting of maybe 6,000 miles on mostly highways, so I decided it wasn't worth it to try that again, especially if I start full-timing it).

Bob
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Rusty Propane Tank

Post by deppstein »

Picking up an old thread on Rusted Propane Tank—The time has come for me to replace my Manchester 6820 on Turtle (our 2004 Premier). The tank is not leaking yet, but there is one 4 inch section that is definitely rusted deeper than just the surface. I have wire brushed it to see if I could get to good metal, and decided that the rust is significant enough to warrant replacement…17 years old, original valves, and this significant rust have me wanting to error on the side of caution. Thanks to previous posts by many of you, I know where to get my replacement tank, BUT I could use some help in locating a reputable RV service to do the install. I live in the Boston area, so would prefer a New England location—but quality is more important to me than convenience, so anything east of the Mississippi is acceptable.
So who do you use and like? Any and all service recommendations welcome!
Thanks,
David