Help with possible purchase

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
DC1

Help with possible purchase

Post by DC1 »

Been looking at this 72 18+ body Chinook.  Like how the exterior looks and the inside is dated but will work for now, until I get time to fix it up.  Confused as to what would the price range for a rig like this would be.  Talked to him and he says he has done some recent work on it, but the bulk of the work was done in 2011.  This is when the engine rebuild and 4x4 conversion were done with a lift kit.  Unfortunately, he says he bought it from the previous owner's grandson and there is no paperwork for either of these.  Maybe I'll be able to tell who did the conversion when I go look at it in person.  Appreciate any guidance offered on pricing or anything else.
Thanks,
Derek

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs ... 23274.html
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Help with possible purchase

Post by 68camaro »

This 18', 4x4 Chinook will be in hot demand in this condition, but to me price seems high though. Instead of paying $44k on 1972 model, you can get a late 90's early 2000's 21' Concourse model with V10 and cabin a/c etc...., spend another $20 - $25k on 4x4 conversion and be in high 40's low 50's max for much much newer vehicle. However 21' is much bigger overall. Keep in mind, for 72 who knows what will need to be replaced on chassis, motor and living area.

However market is crazy and people have been asking crazy prices, but no matter how sweet this rig is, to me $44k is crazy money. But it only takes one person to love this rig and plop the cash down, I definitely believe this could happen.

For this price this needs to be seen in person, maybe put deposit to hold few days to check it out. There are quite of few good conversion shops in CA but also bad ones.

If you love the 18' size (which I do) and understand what the age brings try starting mid 30's and see what happens. Prices on any 4x4, esp campers have been crazy since Covid days.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
DC1

Post by DC1 »

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I do like the size of the 18 but was thinking the same thing about buying newer and converting. I'll think on it over the weekend. Yeah the market is crazy. Was looking and still am somewhat for a Sportsmobile and it's crazy the prices for high mileage van that is near 20 years old.
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

I had a '78 without 4x4.
Those cabs are way too crowded.
My 2000 Concourse is much roomier in the cab.
I am converting mine to 4x4 at the end of Oct.2022.
I agree that it's way too expensive and that you'll be content with a newer model and converting.
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
NookNewb

Post by NookNewb »

DC1

I'm considering the same Chinook on Craigslist right now (it's February 2023) - but not close enough to see it in person. I wasn't really searching for a Chinook so much as a converted 4x4 70's shorty van and this one came up. I kinda love it but I'm just concerned about why it's still there for sale.

Everything sounds great on paper and in the videos. The seller seems to be honest but wasn't the one who did most of the mechanical work. Did you ever go look at it? Was there anything you found out that killed your interest?
Concourse St Tropez

Re: Help with possible purce

Post by Concourse St Tropez »

Could be interesting under 20 000 $ ✌️
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

The market for RV's, especially specialized, has really softened, this may be good time to make aggressive offer.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
Chinnin-about

Post by Chinnin-about »

68camaro wrote: February 19th, 2023, 6:50 am The market for RV's, especially specialized, has really softened, this may be good time to make aggressive offer.
There's a 1996 Concourse with 86k miles for 22k. Do the 25k 4x4 conversion and you've got one hell of a rig.
NookNewb

Post by NookNewb »

Well, I didn't hear from DC1/Derek - but after making a hypothetical offer based on what was represented, it turned out not to be quite as advertised per a local mechanic. We'll keep searching. Looking for something 4x4 already and good to go (all the work and expense paid haha) - plus 70's chic! :lol: The unicorn will ride in some day.
NookNewb

Post by NookNewb »

I would've sacrificed "70's chic" and "Chevy" if I saw this one earlier: https://www.rvtradesok.com/inventory/20 ... ourse-4x4/

If anyone comes across one like that, ping me. :)