In use/store switch

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
Sailor!!

In use/store switch

Post by Sailor!! »

Just wondering if anyone could tell me the type of switch for the in use/store. When I put the switch in the in use charging position, it stays there. When I push the switch to the store position, it springs back to a center position like a momentary switch would. It will not remain engaged in the store position. Is this normal or is the store position supposed to be a momentary connection
Common sense tells me it should be either a SPDT or DPDT switch. Any info would be a great help.
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: In use/store switch

Post by Manitou »

I'm not sure of the switch type details, but is it working? Kills the 12v to the house side of things?
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

It is a DPDT switch, and kind of specialized, as you already realized. Unlike most switch, it is center-off, momentary in one direction, and latching in the other direction. I do not know if these can be easily found other than specialty electronic shop.

I thought the momentary direction is for the USE position, but I can be wrong.. I might have put it back up side down. You may want to see if other folk can confirm, but if you never touched it, the way you described is probably the way it suppose to be.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Sailor!!

Post by Sailor!! »

Thanks for the replys. I sometimes have to push it to the store position a couple of times to disconnect the 12V house banks and it always springs back to the center position. Another question, the "charge- in use light is always on whether the switch is in the center position or switched fully to the in use, charging position. Is that also normal or should the switch be depressed to the in use position for normal operation? It doesn't seem to make an operational difference when the switch is in either of those two positions. Thanks again.
Sailor!!

Post by Sailor!! »

One more thing to add to my last post. When I do press the switch a couple of times to the store position and the house system disconnects, the store led indicator does not stay lit. The only time I have seen it lit more than momentarily is when the low voltage warning is activated.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Sailor!! wrote: May 12th, 2022, 7:28 pm One more thing to add to my last post. When I do press the switch a couple of times to the store position and the house system disconnects, the store led indicator does not stay lit. The only time I have seen it lit more than momentarily is when the low voltage warning is activated.
I don't think there is a LED for the STORE mode. Are you talking about the red LED with label "switch to ON when lit" indicator? That only comes on when you have shore power and the switch is in the STORE position. The LED and buzzer let you know to turn on the LVD so that it can charge the coach batteries.

As for the other questions, I modified mine, so mine behaves differently. I let others help you out on those. I do remember you need to purposefully press down on STORE for the switch to hold the toggle there, but it is not needed for the function as long as it made one contact. See the manual in the reference forum here for the LVD. Essentially, it is the manual override function, and you do not need to keep a constant contact on STORE for it to be in store mode, but it is just to make sure it won't accidentally connect to USE. So when it is on the center off position, the LVD mode is whatever the switch position it was in (STORE or USE) previously. You can think of it as a memory of some sort. (I think your switch is working properly).
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Sailor!!

Post by Sailor!! »

Sorry it's been a while for my response to your very complete and informative reply. Thank you very much! That clears up everything. I have owned multiple RV's throughout the years, but haven't had this type of system. This forum is great. I did a 6 month rebuild of the old girl after she sat unattended for 10 years and it will be my last RV. Hope to meet other Chinook owners in the future. Thanks again for the clarification.
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

Chin_k, My switch light is always green in the use/charge mode.
I never turn it off when connected to shore power, and it stays lit green.
Are you saying that if I were to turn it off to store it would be red on shore power?
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

Astrodokk wrote: August 15th, 2022, 2:52 pm Chin_k, My switch light is always green in the use/charge mode.
I never turn it off when connected to shore power, and it stays lit green.
Are you saying that if I were to turn it off to store it would be red on shore power?
I think if it is set to STORE and you plug into shore power, the red light and beeper comes on to remind you to set it to ON within 30 seconds. The batteries will not charge from shore power if the switch is set to STORE, so they expect the switch to be set to ON (IN USE/CHARGING). The converter/charger uses the same cable as the 12V from the battery so if the LVD disconnects, charging from shore power is also disabled. The momentary ON allows you to override a low voltage condition (batteries low) for 30 seconds. Then if you are plugged in, the charger voltage will produce enough voltage to the battery to keep the LVD from tripping,
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA