Battery separator

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
Carolann22

Battery separator

Post by Carolann22 »

I recently had lithium coach batteries installed. Also the Progressive industries 4645. When I start the engine the lights indicate the batteries are charging. Does this mean I do not need an upgrade separator
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Battery separator

Post by deppstein »

There are some folks on the Forum who have converted over to lithium batteries who will be able to be more helpful, but in general, I can tell you that the lithium battery (s) you installed require specific charging parameters that will not be met with a regular separator that brings over alternator power. You will need to install some sort of “smart” charging system to do that. I believe that people who convert to lithium usually instal an integrated system with a “smart” charging controller that handles charging from the various sources—solar, alternator and shore power/generator.
You also mention upgrading to the PD4645–did you get the one for lithium parameters?…that would be important, I think.
Finally, Where did you put the lithium batteries? I think most people have moved them inside from the battery tray due to fact that they should not be charged in below freezing temperatures…might even require a heat jacket of some sort —this is where others with lithium installs can provide more specific advice.
David
ltg

Post by ltg »

You really need to contact a professional who has experience with Lithium batteries and the Chinook electrical system.
The battery separator on some models is Bi-directional. That means that when charging the house batteries from the house battery charger it is also charging the chassis battery. That means the chassis battery is charging at the rate set for the Lithium batteries. That will shorten the life of the chassis battery.
Generally, when batteries are combined, they need to be the same battery type.
If your Chinook has a one way separator you do not need to be concerned with this.
Another issue is that the Lithium batteries should not be used to start the Chinook engine. So, the start function of the separator should not be used.
As far as charging the Lithium batteries from the engine alternator, I would again consult with a professional.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I would remove the separator and made the chassis and coach electrical independent, unless you want to tax the engine to run the alternator and charge up the batteries. The separator, if you decide to use one, need to have the right voltage profile, and I don't think the alternator has the right voltage to charge the lithium without a DC-DC converter. It is just not worth the possible shorten of life to the lithium batteries if your setup is not correct. Since you don't mind wasting gas to charge the lithium by using the separator, why not just turn on the genset and use that to charge the lithium properly with the PD 4645 and makes your V10 engine and alternator last longer?
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis