Simultaneous Electric and LP Water Heating

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
Schrodinger

Simultaneous Electric and LP Water Heating

Post by Schrodinger »

Hello!

I have a 2005 Glacier with the dual electric and LP water heater. Can I utilize both of these heating methods at the same time to maintain hot water for longer?

Thanks!
BobW9

Re: Simultaneous Electric and LP Water Heating

Post by BobW9 »

I'm not sure what you mean by maintain hot water for longer?

Either the electric AC mode or the propane mode should heat up the water the same, just using a different heating element. In either mode, there is a thermostat that monitors the temperature of the water in the tank and turns the heater on as needed to keep the temperature within a certain range.

If you mean keeping the water hot if it is cold outside and you're using the shower or something and shut off the water for a bit, then no you can't do much. That initial cold water each time will be due to the water in the pipes cooling down while the water is just sitting. There isn't much you can do to prevent that. All you can do is run the water for a minute to get the cold water out of the pipe.

You can add insulation around the hot water pipe along its entire length, which might help a bit, as (at least in my Concourse) the pipes are generally only insulated when they go under the sink and around the side/back to the shower/bathroom. But that just helps to slow down the cooling of the water sitting in the pipe - it will still get cool pretty quick if it is cold outside.
2000 Concourse, Ford Triton 6.8 V10
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

It will heat up the water quicker, but you may want to contact the manufacturer to make sure the water tank can handle the amount of heat transfer. Frankly, I don't think you will need to fire up both, unless you have full hookup and want to use the both the inside and outside shower at the same time. Is there a problem with the heater that you are trying to solve, or you are just curious?
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Schrodinger

Post by Schrodinger »

Thanks for the replies! My wife and I are hosting her best friend and the best friend's husband for a long weekend camping trip. I just want to make sure nobody runs out of hot water during showers. I figured the recovery time could be improved by using both systems.
Schrodinger

Post by Schrodinger »

Update:

Reached out to Suburban and they confirmed that both LP and 120v can be used simultaneously to maintain hot water for longer during prolonged water usage.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

good to know. I don't have the electric mode, but I usually use the facility's hot shower in the past, since I can't turn around too easily due to the extra girth I gained over the years.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis