How to remove cushions from jacknife sofa?

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

How to remove cushions from jacknife sofa?

Post by Flame »

How do I remove the cushions from my jacknife sofa and leave the original frame in place? As someone suggested I will put a piece of plywood on it then and a foam mattress of sorts on that. I have looked close under there but could use a few details of the cushion removal. Thanks!
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark
Kirah
**Forum Contributor**

Re: How to remove cushions from jacknife sofa?

Post by Kirah »

Saw your PM, and since I don't see a way to send photos that way, I'll post them here :)

The back cushion is attached to a back frame thingy, which I just poked at with wrenches until I got the whole frame off. You can see in the photo below an arm thingy sticking up at either end. I never did figure out the 'right' way to remove those. I ended up just cutting them away using a reciprocating saw.

The bottom cushion might have been screwed on, at least in part? But the part I remember was cutting away the foam where it had been glued to the frame.
20161202_123800.jpg
Then I cut some boards to fit over the whole thing, from that wooden rail on the wall to the front edge of the steel frame. I think I might have had to add a shim for leveling somewhere in there, but I can't actually remember and my notes are non-existent.
20161218_145417.jpg
I did end up needing to top the boards with that non-skid stuff you put under rugs to keep the mattress from inching out into the walkway.

This was the end result (before I took the dinette out!)
20170930_140702.jpg
1999 Premier, now minus all passenger side cabinets and appliances :twisted:
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

Kirah, Thank you! That has certainly helped in my decision making.
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark
Djam6115

Post by Djam6115 »

Flame, by chance was your couch electric and did you save or reuse the ball screws that raised and lowered the back? I’m in search of one. Thanks