Chinook sleeping

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
djones100rt

Chinook sleeping

Post by djones100rt »

Wife and I finnaly found our dream chinook however lack of a bed has her holding out has anyone adapted booth to a night time bed space
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Chinook sleeping

Post by deppstein »

Congrats on your Rig, and welcome to the Forum. What year and model did you get? Knowing that will help us provide better advice.
We have a 2004 Premier with the couch/dinette layout--the couch "jack-knifes" out and the dinette drops down to form a full nearly King Size sleeping area. We love this layout. It affords us great space for sitting during the day, and it takes us less than 5 minutes to make the transition to the sleeping set-up. You have to get your routine down, so that you aren't having to crawl from end-to-end or over each other...but once you get the hang of it, it really is quite simple. First we move the cushions on the dinette seats out of the way, then drop the table and put the cushions back over the dropped table area. We then take out two REI @inch self-inflating pads that we store (deflated) behind the couch, and inflate them and move them to the rear towards the door--out of the way so that we can jack-knife the couch. Then with one of us on either end of the couch, we lay down a thick cotton cover over the bed area to help fill the bumps and valleys, followed by the two pads with a flannel sheet over them and tucked in all around (that keeps the pads together very nicely). We then spread a double sleeping bag out over the flannel sheet for actual sleeping. If its too warm for the sleeping bag, we substitute with another flannel sheet and light wool blanket. All this bedding by the way stores nicely in the over head compartment above the driver and passenger seats (including pillows). Some people have modified their couches to make them more comfortable for sleeping, but we have not found that to be at all necessary. We have used the above-mentioned set up for more than 6 years now, and for 5-6 weeks at a time. The inflatable pads and sleeping bag are the key...we can adjust the firmness to suit and don't have to futz with sheets and blankets each night.
The only thing I have to add is that I did end up modifying table drop-down slightly. The top piece that is screwed into the wall below the window kept coming loose, and I didn't like the rattle, so I substituted a full panel (made out of cherry to match our cabinets and running down the wall from near top of windows to just above the dinette benches) to give it more strength. That was more than 5 years ago, and no problems since.
Oh yea--and I sleep on the end closest to the bathroom...a concession to the aging process and my need to use the bathroom once...or twice at night.
As I said...sleeping arrangements in our Rigs are a matter of personal preference. I am only describing what works well for us. So, I suggest you experiment, take some trips, try different things out and see what works for you. Hope this helps.
David