2004 Glacier alternator not charging house battery

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
Kruggy88

2004 Glacier alternator not charging house battery

Post by Kruggy88 »

I am a new to me 2004 glacier 2500 owner. I am very happy but seem to have a few issues that I will be looking for help/advice on.

First issue is that my alternator does not seem to be charging my house batteries. Generator and shore power charge the house batteries but whenever I am underway there doesn't seem to be any charging of the house batteries. I have 3 AGM batteries at 80 AH each. When I hit the battery boost switch there does seem to be an audible click from a relay. I believe that is coming from the battery isolator under the hood on the driver side. With the battery boost switch applied and the vehicle battery at higher voltage than the house batteries, there is no noticeable increase in the voltage reading from the house batteries.
How long would a full charge take with the alternator if everything was in working order?

I feel like I have a decent understanding of most electrical systems in vehicles but opening up the battery compartment of the glacier really makes me scratch my head a bit. If anyone could point me the right direction that would be great!
20210406_232412625_iOS.jpg
20210406_232417185_iOS.jpg
20210406_225250884_iOS.jpg
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: 2004 Glacier alternator not charging house battery

Post by Manitou »

In my experience the relay (surepower brand.. I forget thenmodel number.. we have a write up here somewhere) under the hood burns out often. Had to replace mine twice in 2-3 years). There may be a better solution, but just replacing it with a new one is quick and easy.
Kruggy88

Post by Kruggy88 »

Is the relay located in the fuse compartment under the hood? I will search and see if I van find the post you are talking about.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I assume it is the same separator as in the Concourse. Here is the link to the manual. It gets warm when the solenoid is energized, and there is a noticeable click noise when the plunger moves.

viewtopic.php?p=3263#p3263

Do a search on Surepower on the forum should bring up dozens of threads. you can try to measure the voltage on the device and see if it is getting the control voltage when you press on the boost switch. If it does get the voltage, remove it and measure the solenoid coil resistance to make sure it does not have a short or got burnt out. Very likely it is the issue, since it is already like 18 yrs old.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
ltg

Post by ltg »

To test the house batteries for charging with the alternator do the following. With engine off, and battery charger off, solar panel covered, test voltage at the house batteries. Start the engine. Test the voltage at the house batteries. If the voltage is greater than the first test, the alternator is charging the batteries. If not greater, the alternator is not charging the batteries.
The battery disconnect switch has to be in the on position for the alternator to charge the house batteries.
Kruggy88

Post by Kruggy88 »

I did replace the battery isolator and everything seems to be working great! I have heard a lot of complaints with the own replacement so I decided to use a marine grade replacement that was $40 cheaper. I will see how well it holds up.
MaySpare 12V 140Amp Voltage Sensitive ... UTF8&psc=1
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

That is a pretty good price. How big are the two bolts? If the indicator can be remotely mounted, it will be perfect for me. Here is the edited like in case anyone can't get the original link above to work. www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRJRY42/ref=cm_sw_ ... UTF8&psc=1
FatBuoy
**Forum Contributor**

Post by FatBuoy »

Anyone have a part number, or link, for the original isolator? I need to order one ASAP.

Thanks!
2001 Premier aka "Anookie"
Dallas, TX area
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

For the Concourse, it is Surepower 1315. It is brought by Eaton. Check to make sure it is not recalled, and if it is, you maybe able to get a free replacement.