Removing pipe from 3-way valve to water pump

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
tvsmurphman

Post by tvsmurphman »

I'm trying to install a Camco bypass valve that comes with its winterizing kit. Supposed to go between water flow pipe and water pump.
The plumbing is beneath the couch in my 2001 Chinook. The pipe going into the water pump has no give to allow enough space to install the valve.
I think I can install the valve by replacing the short length of pipe coming out of the 3-way valve with the Camco valve.
20220113_115621.jpg
20220113_115900.jpg
But I can't disconnect the end of the pipe from the 3-way. It doesn't look like a shark bite fitting. I've attached pictures with the part spun up away from water pump.
Any idea how to separate?

I'd rather not replace the 3-way because it looks like that will be difficult to take out completely. Pics attached.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments
This is what I'm trying to install.
This is what I'm trying to install.
20220110_164320.jpg
caconcourse

Re: Removing pipe from 3-way valve to water pump

Post by caconcourse »

I think the connection you are working with (blue arrow) is just a friction fit, and it should pull out with enough force or leverage. Maybe you can pry it loose with a screwdriver. The screw cap compresses the pipe to keep it in place, and it's probably just scrunched in after so many years in that position.

Here is a link to a typical 3-way rv pex valve showing the exploded connection in the pictures: https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Plumbing- ... 57430&th=1
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

If I understand how the winterizing kit works, it need to be installed before the pump, so I would do it on the top PEX pipe that is between the 3-way valve and the pump. The short section is just to get to the drain, and I don't think you need to use that for the kit. So just cut out a small section of the PEX to install the bypass valve (with necessary adapters if needed.)
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

OK, I think I see a better picture of what you are trying to do. The connection you are trying to remove maybe a bit too short for the kit. If that is the case, you can just leave it in place, and add a section of PEX with two elbows with the bypass valve in between the elbows.

right now, you have tank->3way->elbow->pump. Try to convert it with tank->3way->(new elbow)->bypass->(new elbow)->elbow->pump.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
LosLaureles

Post by LosLaureles »

I agree with all comments. Since everything is apart I would do the most important upgrade. Remove the old Shurflo inlet strainer and replace with the new model. Once you remove, you will see why. Poor design and will crack or fail. Best $11.00 you will ever spend.

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-Trailer- ... 6389&psc=1
2000 Chinook Premier
BobW9

Post by BobW9 »

Just to chip in my two cents...

If you're trying to shoe-horn it into where that length of pipe is now, I think it's too short. You really need an inch of pipe between fittings for the pipe to contract and tighten properly (Pex recommends 1.5" or something minimum), you can't move that Flair-It 3-way (like you said) and you can't move the pump without re-arranging lots of piping around it.

On the other hand, you might be able to keep that Flair-It 3-way fixture with the end pointing up like in the first picture, and then attach flexible tubing to it that goes to the bypass valve and then another flexible tubing from the valve to the right angle going into the pump (maybe even fit to the end of the pump if that flexible piping can make a bend before it hits the tank). I don't know where you'd seat the bypass valve, though (it will need to be attached to something rigid like the floor, or water going through it might eventually pull its piping loose from vibrations).

That being said, if you need to get that pipe off the Flair-It 3-way, like Chin_k said, it is just pushed on, but very tightly because of the diameter of the fitting. You can blow some hot air on it, carefully, and that will slightly loosen the pipe as it softens and expands. Pex can handle that, but in spite of what the literature says about Pex, I found that if you do too much, it never goes back to quite as tight and perfect a fit as it originally was (too much being using a hot air gun and waiting maybe 20-30 seconds until the tubing starts to turn clear). But a bit of hot or even warmer air will help (the colder the pipe is, the harder it becomes and will be more difficult to pull off) - so at the least, heat the inside of the coach to 75 or something and wait until that pipe has had time to come up to room temp, even if you do nothing else to warm it up.

Oh, and when pushing it back in, the same thing goes, using a hair dryer for 10 seconds around the end of the pipe makes it easier to slip the pipe back on.

If you get the new strainer, make sure it'll fit before tossing the old one. I found the new strainer to be longer than the old one and couldn't fit it without putting strain on the pipes as they were pushed back.
2000 Concourse, Ford Triton 6.8 V10
tvsmurphman

Post by tvsmurphman »

Heating the pipe with a blow dryer worked and I was able to get pipe off. Thanks.