Concourse rear entry door

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Inovermyhead

Concourse rear entry door

Post by Inovermyhead »

Can anyone tell me what the rough opening of a rear entry 1998 Chinook Concourse measures? It is at the RV dealer and Lippert wants to know the rough opening. In order for them to know, they would have to take my damaged door off including the frame and are unsure that they could put it back on while waiting for a new door.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
BobW9

Re: Concourse rear entry door

Post by BobW9 »

I can't say for sure yours is the same, but when I replaced mine, the cutout size was 24.5" wide by 72" high. I used a standard 24" x 72" door to replace it. See my post below for all the details and a long thread with other people.

viewtopic.php?p=14394#p14394
2000 Concourse, Ford Triton 6.8 V10
Inovermyhead

Post by Inovermyhead »

Thanks, BobW9. So the height of the rough opening is 72"? Thanks, again.
BobW9

Post by BobW9 »

Yes, my new door is 72", the opening was just a few tenths of an inch taller, it fit easily.
Inovermyhead

Post by Inovermyhead »

So, another question BobW. In your long thread you mentioned that you had to build out the frame both above the door and on the sides. If the door fit, what was the "build out" related to? I'm not sure I follow what the "lip" you mentioned might be.
BobW9

Post by BobW9 »

When I say the door fit, I mean the main cutout was the right size (or almost, it was a little wide than the cutout needed by the new door).

The cutout was 1/2" larger than the new door's cutout, with another 1/2" cutout for the latch on one side and the hinges on the other. You can see in the last picture in that post, with the tape measure, that it is about 24.5" for the cutout, another 1/2" for the hinges on the right, and another 1/2" for the latch on the left. So 25.5" from side to side in largest dimension had to be fully covered by the new door frame. For me, that means another 1/2" on each side for space for butyl tape to seal, for 26.5". But the new frame isn't that wide. So I had to fiberglass over the indentations for the latch on the left and hinges on the right, because the new door's frame didn't cover them up completely (at least not enough for me to be sure to have a thick enough butyl seal that water wouldn't leak in).

The top was even more obvious in my case, where the top screw holes would almost, not quite, be covered by the new frame's outer edge (probably 1/2" or more further out than the new screw holes I had to drill). I added 1/2" or more or wood along the top and then fiberglassed over it (used Bondo Hair, a bit messy looking, but a solid waterproof finish). And filled in all the old screw holes (JB Kwik Weld epoxy). And, actually, the lower edge of the new door is much shorter than the edge of the old door, by like a full inch. That was also an annoyance, because the distance from the bottom of that edge to where water could come into the step inside was not much, even though hopefully water would never be wicked up or splashed up much.

All doors might not be quite like mine, or maybe some installers wouldn't be as picky about having at least 1/2" or more along the entire edge, where the butyl is seated.
Inovermyhead

Post by Inovermyhead »

Okay, thanks for taking the time to spell all that out, BobW9. I appreciate your patience and kindness. Think I'm going to have to give the RV dealer the go ahead to take the damaged door out and measure the raw opening to give Lippert the exact specs so they can fabricate a door that will fit. It will be costly, but I don't have the skills to do what you have done. Guess I'll bring my rig home until the weather is warmer and more predictable to do so in the event they can't get the damaged door back in place while waiting for the replacement.
BobW9

Post by BobW9 »

It's up to you, but chances are the RV dealer can do a fine job just with a standard 24" x 72" door - I'm sure they have experience if they need to cover over old screw holes in fiberglass or patch a few areas. I didn't mean to scare you, my experience may not be normal. Certainly others on the forum here have had better luck when replacing doors, not having to do as much as I did. As I recall, at least one person found the new Lippert door, the exact one I installed, fit fine with no significant issues.