I don’t know what this is

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
Fawn

I don’t know what this is

Post by Fawn »

I opened this overhead storage compartment and apparently something was leaking in. I think a very small leak but this apparatus was right above the damp spot. I don’t know what it’s for. Does anyone? Thanks.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Re: I don’t know what this is

Post by 68camaro »

I don't see a picture.....
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
sm350bl
**Forum Contributor**

Post by sm350bl »

I second, no picture attached,

Wild bet says its the rooftop t.v antenna crank handle.
Rich
2000 Concourse 7.3L Powerstroke 4X4
BobW9

Post by BobW9 »

Is it on the driver side overhead compartment, closest to the front (behind where the thermostat is)? If there is a hand-crank, or possibly just a circle of plastic with a metal rod in the middle (missing the crank), then that would be for the outside antenna on the roof - you rotate the crank to raise and lower the antenna. If it is leaking, then you need to crank the antenna up and then go look on the roof around the antenna's base. It might need to be pulled up and reseated with butyl and/or caulking.

This is what the crank looks like with the hand-crank itself missing (just the circle and rod). Ignore the back with the wires, I was working on the wiring that runs behind the overhead compartments and had removed the back carpeted cover.
crank for outside roof antenna (crank itself not shown)
crank for outside roof antenna (crank itself not shown)
2000 Concourse, Ford Triton 6.8 V10
Fawn

Post by Fawn »

Yes!! Exactly what it is. You’re a genius. I thought the pic posted. It didn’t, Thanks so much. I had no idea there was an antennae on the roof. Just got the 98 Concourse about four or so months ago and haven’t finished exploring it all. I’ll do the fix ASAP.