Would you do Cathedral Valley Loop with a non 4X4 chinook?

Travels and adventures.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Would you do Cathedral Valley Loop with a non 4X4 chinook?

Post by chin_k »

https://www.motorhome.com/motorhome-tra ... onal-park/

I do not have the 4X4 or have it lifted, so it is standard Concourse. If the ranger said it is good to go, should I try to do the loop? I dug my Chinook out of sand before, but this one maybe a bit more remote.

There is a pretty nice map in this link:
https://www.earthtrekkers.com/cathedral-valley-loop/
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
sm350bl
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Would you do Cathedral Valley Loop with a non 4X4 chinook?

Post by sm350bl »

I have limited experience but I will share what I know. I find Park Rangers usually lean to the cautious side. According to my Salem Kroger pamphlet of information about the 4x4 conversion on my Chinook, the conversion they did only yields three inches over stock height. I feel like a margin of three inches can be overcome relatively easy if one drives smart. Maybe comb through some reviews and see what the vibe of the road is?
Rich
2000 Concourse 7.3L Powerstroke 4X4
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

My 20-year old self says, sure, go for it, but my 60+year old self says, no, it's not worth the stress. There is so much beauty in that area and you don't need to leave the pavement to see it. I think Highway 12 from Bryce to Hanksville (through Capital Reef) is the most beautiful drive in the country. The scenic drive in and out of the park (Capital Reef) starting at the Visitor Center is plenty beautiful as well.

The road looks as passable as many I have take the Chinook on, but the river crossing scares me some. Sandy spots are a little risky, but usually passable in this kind of terrain, so the Chinook is probably up to the job, if the river is low (8" deep?).

I would also recommend the drive into Canyonlands NP to the lookout. The views there rival the Grand Canyon. The entrance is across from the Arches NP entrance. I didn't bother to go in there the first time we went in that area, but I did later, and was amazed at what we had missed earlier.

The drive north from Torrey to Fish Lake is also nice, as an optional route north. The Aspen forest there is supposed to be one of the largest living organisms in the world (roots are connected). The landscape on the drive is more forested hills and less red rock.
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Thank you, Rich and Clay.

I think I will think more about it before doing it. The river is not that deep most of the year, I heard, and if it is more than 6 inch deep, I will not try it. It is not like I am risking my life, but getting hit with a $1200 towing fee is not going to be worth it no matter how good the views are.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis