New Guy From Oklahoma

Off topic, tall tales, general chit-chat.
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Re: New Guy From Oklahoma

Post by Scott »

Barrera wrote: September 5th, 2020, 3:32 pm
Scott,

I am leaning more to getting headers for my Chinook. Is this the header kit you picked up from Summit Racing?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dte-214y-fi3-c

In the description it reads that this is for "use with the E40D transmission only". I'm not really sure if that's the transmission in my 1995 Concourse so I'm still researching that part.

Also, did you find any particular string of colorful language more effective for this job? I want to be prepared when the time comes.

Thanks!
Yup! That's the exact kit I used. It's really quite nice. It's a big job. Just a heads up.

Ford didn't use gaskets, but the Thorley kit does. One thing regarding the idea of resurfacing the stock cast manifolds is that if they're really warped, and then ground into flatness, the alignment of the through holes is not going to be perpendicular. Headers all the way.

Your rig should have an E4OD gearbox so you're fine there.

I called Thorley before ordering and they were super helpful. But this was several years ago. Who knows now ...

I find that the nature of my profanity relies mostly upon the weather. I prefer working in cooler conditions. But mostly it's dependent upon personal preference.

While you're at Summit do this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-868113CR
1994 Premier
Barrera

Re: New Guy From Oklahoma

Post by Barrera »

Scott wrote: September 6th, 2020, 9:46 am
Yup! That's the exact kit I used. It's really quite nice. It's a big job. Just a heads up.
Yuck. I wondered about the amount of pain involved in snaking those things in that tight space. It may need to Google Tetris strategy.
Ford didn't use gaskets, but the Thorley kit does.
Ah, very interesting. Did you use the Thorley gaskets? I've read a few differing opinions on gaskets / no gaskets / copper gaskets and this is a big question for me.
One thing regarding the idea of resurfacing the stock cast manifolds is that if they're really warped, and then ground into flatness, the alignment of the through holes is not going to be perpendicular. Headers all the way.
This is an outstanding point that never occurred to me and yet another great reason to drop the coin on the headers.
Your rig should have an E4OD gearbox so you're fine there.
OK thanks for the confirmation. I thought that the 4R100 (I think that's the name) was a little later iteration but I was not positive.
I called Thorley before ordering and they were super helpful. But this was several years ago. Who knows now ...
Good to know. 👍
While you're at Summit do this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-868113CR
Excellent idea! I wasn't thinking about plugs, wires, cap & rotor but no better time to change them.

Now I just need to get off the fence. I'm not so much worried about the lack of payback (~ $1,100 is a wee bit of an investment) as I tend to see this more as part of my personal entertainment. However, I might be better served to take up cheaper hobbies. We'll see. I'm leaning hard the headers way...

Thank you for sharing your experience and advice!
1995 Concourse