Wheel hub cover fell off

Stuff that goes in your Chinook but isnt really part of your Chinook.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Wheel hub cover fell off

Post by chin_k »

I heard some rattling noise on the road, and figured that it must be one of the other vehicles around me. Then I noticed that the noise is in sync with my driving, so I think it is my rig. When I was about to pull over in a few miles, I see one of my simulator roll down the road. :shock: It was the Borg valve stems that was holding it when it was rattling.

I finally found it by the side of the road, but it was dented and one of the "real" lug nut is missing, as well as the two "fake" nuts with the dimples. So I looked at eBay for replacement, and I was shocked by how expensive these are! I will probably going to hammer out the dents, and get two dimpled nuts, and see if I can repair the "real" nut too.

I see that they are Dicor Versa-liner, but any of you know where can I get the "real" nut to be glued/clamped on the cover?
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Wheel hub cover fell off

Post by chin_k »

Good folks at Dicor helped me out with this. They are going to send me some jam nuts *AND* one "real" lug nut to see if I can put it back on there. Let see how it going to work.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Great service from Dicor. Cool!
1999 Concourse
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

I posted a photo of my "trunk" and it showed a T handled tool that was all rusty and imprinted it's shape onto the carpet piece.

Found out later while researching that it is the jam nut tool for the simulators! I was going to throw it away but now that I know what it's for, I will wire wheel it and keep it lovingly in my spare parts area.
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I have that tool but found a regular socket/handle easier to use. 1-1/8" IIRC.
1999 Concourse
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

Yeah it is kind of short, that's why I wondered what the hell it was for. But since it's original, I'll keep it for the purists that may buy my rig when I decide to stop traveling at an old age and get a Prius or Bolt! Some people like all that original stuff. That's also why I'm keeping my original two cup cold/hot drink console and the clock, which I took out and stored.

I think I'm going to remove my simulators as well, store them and only install them if I sell to make it look pretty (if it glows, it goes!), and paint my rims like Blue did. I don't want to lose one of them on the road.

My passenger rear one had regular lug nuts holding it on, not the fancy biggish ones that are on all the others.

I think Camping World sells them too.
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Just to close this up. Dicor send me to nutted lug nuts, but they forget to send me the empty lug nuts they promised. I call them about it, and they try to make amend by sending me some kind of lug nuts that have a plastic bolt on the end. I told them I don't think they will work, but they insisted that it is obvious how to get it to fit. Well, I got them, and they are not going to work. So the lesson is, make sure the "real" lug nut that permanently attached to the simulator does not get removed/missing, otherwise, you will end up like mine with one missing nut cover. :(

Now you all can tell who is in it when you see my rig on the camp site.