Rooftop storage

Anything that goes behind your Chinook, flat, trailer, toys.
Beaver

Rooftop storage

Post by Beaver »

I've seen some Chinooks with white storage boxes located on the rear part of the roof. They're more square than a rocket box. I'd like to get one for my '98 Concourse but haven't been able to find one online. Were they an accessory Chinook offered back in the day? Does anyone know where I can find one, new or used?
Beaver
'98 Concourse
Blue~Go

Re: Rooftop storage

Post by Blue~Go »

I believe they were a Chinook build option. I think some extra plywood pads were put in the roof for the leg brackets (which are somewhat "asymmetrical" to accommodate the varying roof heights where the legs come down).

My hunch is that the boxes themselves were Thule boxes, or maybe Yakima. Both companies had the short/squat boxes back in the day, as I remember it.

I think both companies *may* still make a short/squat box (maybe in their "lower" lines at this point vs. the more high end models); but if not I have seen quite a few on Craigslist as people update. As a bonus (to my mind), they are often white (always seemed like the black ones must get really hot inside).
1999 Concourse
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

Thanks, Blue. I just found one on my local Craigslist. I'll see if it works, and let you know.
Beaver
'98 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Cool - it'll be interesting to hear your updates.
1999 Concourse
phonemd

Post by phonemd »

I have a 98 chinook. I have the thule short box, I made a custome made rack on the roof with 3/4 inch galvanized pipes, it holds it perfectly. If I could figure out how, I'd include a picture!
eporter123
**Forum Contributor**

Post by eporter123 »

The square storage box makes sense, I was wondering what was up with the short racks on my roof. I believe they're "factory" and made out of aluminum.
roofrack.JPG
Former owner of a 2000 Chinook Premier, V-10, with no Interior...
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Those do look like the Chinook installed racks I've seen in photos of other Chinooks. As you can see, the rack legs come down on different-height areas of the roof, hence they are customized.

Not being super tall myself, I have always wished I could have one of the earlier roofs that didn't have the "top wedding cake tier." It makes solar panels, roof boxes, etc. more of a pain. I'm sure tall people appreciate it though.
1999 Concourse
eporter123
**Forum Contributor**

Post by eporter123 »

I took these pics of my rack tonight while installing a new rear vent and cover. Yes, I really need to scrub the roof clean!
64D5C602-1198-4E5E-B179-81DD651B9108.jpeg
F4762BEC-20F1-4B5C-B00D-2B9D7CE2E566.jpeg
Former owner of a 2000 Chinook Premier, V-10, with no Interior...