front hitch option

Anything that goes behind your Chinook, flat, trailer, toys.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

front hitch option

Post by chin_k »

I see a few of you have the Curt front receiver hitch (33055 ???). I am looking into getting one, but not too sure if it is going to work for my case. I have a foldable step in the middle that I like to use when checking oil and washing the windshield. Will the front hitch interfere with it that I need to remove it and use the side license plate mount?

If I can keep the front step, is there a better hitch than the Curt one? I assume I just need to order one via etrailer by putting the make and model of the Ford into the web page, but want to know if there are other options that maybe better.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Blue~Go

Re: front hitch option

Post by Blue~Go »

I have the Draw-Tite (which is also Reese). No complaints at all. They are both major makers, and I think I might have had a reason to choose the Draw-Tite but I can't remember it now. Oh, wait, maybe it was because I liked the tire carrier a little better, and also, Draw-Tite has the second hole so you can use their J-shaped tightener (which works like a charm).

I don't see any way you can use the flip down step with a front hitch. Maybe if you had a hitch custom welded that split into two legs and then came back together (for a tire, not for hitching to tow anything), but even so, the tire will be right there so how would you even step on it?

If not for a tire, but rather for something you will only put there once in a while... maybe something custom?

I have made a post in the past listing part numbers for the hitch, tire carrier, and j-tightener pin (that thing rocks).

A tip is to remove the front bumper to put the hitch on. I wasn't able to do that (was kind of "stealthily" doing it in a campground) and it was a lot easier when I helped a buddy and we took off the front bumper cover. Easier and faster (vs. using a fish wire).
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

If I just have the front hitch, without any attachment (95% of the time), can I still use the FoldAway step? If I need to put a bike in the front, or my tire, then I can remove the step later, but I know that is a real pain.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Oh, yeah, duh, not everyone is asking about a tire! :oops: :oops:

No, I don't believe the hitch itself will be a problem. It (at least the Draw-Tite) is tucked under the front bumper out of the way.
1999 Concourse