how long of tow bar for 1998 concourse?

Anything that goes behind your Chinook, flat, trailer, toys.
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

how long of tow bar for 1998 concourse?

Post by Flame »

I would like to tow my 20 ft Skeeter bass boat with my 21 ft Chinook. First off... It takes about 28 foot to store the boat so total package would be around 49 feet going down the hiway. Is that legal? Also. with the receiver tucked way under the rear steps, how long of ball hitch do I need to be safe for "clear" turning? As low as the receiver is on my 1998 model I assume I would need a upturned hitch...but how much to be safe and not worry? I guess with hitch the total rig might be over 50ft.!!
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark
Blue~Go

Re: how long of tow bar for 1998 concourse?

Post by Blue~Go »

Sounds like you have nearly the same dimensions as me. My boat is 28' on the trailer and I have a '99 Concourse so same manual step as you.

My trailer is a tandem, so I want it completely level when towing. For my particular trailer that means I want the top of the ball at ~19" off the ground. So my drawbar has a rise. Actually, because I'm persnickety and wanted it just so, I have X rise and then a 1" high ball (they make them with a rise shank). This worked out slightly better than just a drawbar with more rise, because the drawbar rises only come in certain sizes.

But as you say, the key is the distance from the pin hole (that goes into the receiver) to the point where it clears the step. Those drawbars are not just at every Wal-Mart, but happily they do exist. Let me go measure mine and I'll be right back....
1999 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Okay, back. So I actually have two drawbars that fit.

1) 3/4" rise. This one is 12" from pin hole to center of ball mount hole, but more critically it's ~8-1/2" from pin hole to where the rise starts. This clears the step nicely. I don't want any more leverage than necessary (I think newer Chinooks with the electric step may need a longer drawbar to clear so if you have the electric step don't take this as gospel). This drawbar is a "Valley 7590." This is the one that happens to work best for the height of the ball/trailer coupler on my particular trailer.

2) 2" rise. This one is about 13-1/2" from pin hole to ball mount hole. It's about 8-1/2" from pin hole to "rise." This is a Curt brand. Part number might be 45270 (little hard to tell).

I think I bought one of them from eTrailer and the other one was from a local shop. The extended height balls (they come in a couple of different heights), I think I got from eTrailer. They are rated just like the drawbars are. As mentioned, these are hard to find in just any local shop, hence my keeping two on hand plus a couple of the riser balls, just so I can cover various trailer heights.

BG

PS: On total length. I think California is one of the more restrictive states, and they have a 65' limit for combinations like ours. You could check other states, but my hunch is that 49' is no problem (legally) in any of them. I researched this a bit before I bought my Chinook, when I was considering a 36' motorhome and still wanted to be able to tow my boat.
1999 Concourse
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

Perfect info as usual blue. Thank you very much. Just what I needed to know.
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark