Satellite dish

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
Baja Bilo

Satellite dish

Post by Baja Bilo »

Hello fellow Chinook gang.
Last summer I purchased a 2003 Chinook Baja. It is in great shape and I've slowly
been working out a few bugs. Can someone tell me how the satellite dish works?
I don't know how the dish raises and lowers. The TV, DVD, and stereo all work well.
I will have to get a different TV if I want to get free over the air digital television,
I would like to see if I can get the dish to work also. Any help or suggestions are
greatly appreciated. Steve.
FatBuoy
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Satellite dish

Post by FatBuoy »

Hey baja- are you talking about a dish, or the antenna for the TV? If the antenna, there's a crank in the cabinet on the driver's side. Not the front cabinets, but the front of the side cabinets, if that makes sense. If you are talking an actual satellite dish, I believe that would be aftermarket, so not sure.
2001 Premier aka "Anookie"
Dallas, TX area
Baja Bilo

Post by Baja Bilo »

FatBuoy wrote: January 29th, 2021, 6:44 am Hey baja- are you talking about a dish, or the antenna for the TV? If the antenna, there's a crank in the cabinet on the driver's side. Not the front cabinets, but the front of the side cabinets, if that makes sense. If you are talking an actual satellite dish, I believe that would be aftermarket, so not sure.
Yeah I'm talking about the satellite dish, I know about the crank in
the cabinet for the regular antenna. I'm thinking the dish must have
some kind of remote that I don't have.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

It maybe possible that Trail Wagon fit the Chinook with dish as a factory option.

Anyway, you need subscription for satellite dish to work. It is a bit more tricky because you need to aim the dish at the satellite, so they are usually housed in a dome. If you already have it, great. If you don't, I feel you did not miss much. Unless you sold everything, and live on the rig full time, then maybe it is worthwhile to get the dish. I would call the manufacturer to find out what you have or do a google search. Or you can post on the facebook forum if you want more people to see your topic.

I would get a new TV with a digital tuner, or get a setup box tuner for the analog TV if you want to keep that. A setup box is maybe $20? A new TV depends on size, can be $50-$300. I would stay smaller than 24 inch, however. The TV antenna will work on OTA tv channel since it is similar frequency, so don't need to change the antenna if you already have one. Around here, I can get more a hundred channels OTA and hardly have time to watch any of it.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis