Is a coleman solar controller "plug and play"

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Is a coleman solar controller "plug and play"

Post by Flame »

Can't find actual installation videos or instructions to replace my original solar controller to a new upgraded coleman/sunforce 68032 30 amp controller. Is it "plug and play"? Seems like it SHOULD be a very simple install but have not found anything on it. Please advise.
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Is a coleman solar controller "plug and play"

Post by chin_k »

Flame, there is a link that you can download the manual. It looks like it only has 4 connections that you have to deal with. Two for the solar, and two for the battery. Can't get more simple than that.

https://sunforceproducts.com/products/3 ... ontroller/

FWIW, I am in the process of redo some of the DC circuit, and I am very likely going to replace the solar charger and the surepower solenoid with a dual battery MPPT charger. For the LVD, I am thinking about using the Blue Sea m-LVD, but not sure if it will do what I think it does. Ideally, I would like to replace all three components (LVD, solar charger, and the solenoid) with one component, but I am not able to find a suitable replacement for it off the shelf.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

It is plug and play with regard to the electrical hookup (4 wires, two in and two out). I did have to enlarge the opening about 1/8" of an inch or so to make it fit. You can peel back the fabric around the opening while you trim the fiberglass and then fold it back to re-cover the fiberglass edges.
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

Perfect! Thank ya'll very much. Looks simple enough as long as the old one is marked what wires are going to what.
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

Well I got a surprise and my coleman solar control panel will be here tomorrow!! Sooo...I went ahead and took my old panel down today expecting to see 4 wires but I only have a BLACK,RED,and YELLOW. It does look like there are 2 different size black wires tied together. For safety what do I need to disconnect before doing my exchange? I would think I could probably do it "HOT"?? If I have to cut the hole out bigger I will just need to be careful not to get small fiberglass splinters into carpet and everything else! I did find and read the coleman installation manual but it says there will be 4 wires. So I am assuming the 2 black wires I have tied together will each have their own place on the back of the new controller? Right? Just trying to be safe. My new charger is working so well I just don't want to screw anything up!!
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

There is a manual in the reference section, and if you look at Fig 2, there is the wiring diagram for the Mark controller. Take off one wire from there, and put it on corresponding slot on the Coleman. If there is a slot on the Mark that does not have a wire, then you will need to tell us which one, and we will go from there. I have not take mine off, but it is possible that the Batt(-) and Array(-) is connected together on the Mark (if it is a negative ground controller), so it make no difference if you connect to Batt(-), or Array(-) or both. If it is positive ground controller, then Batt (+) is connect to the Array(+) inside the controller, so only there is one missing wire. You can confirm if the controller is +/- ground by measuring the two (+) (or negative) terminals on the controller, and see if they are connected (no resistant).

I think most controller installs want you to connect the battery first but I have not see any controller that got fired that way... you can tell us if you want :)
BobW9

Post by BobW9 »

Put a thick blanket over the solar panel while working on the wiring. This is the only way to turn the panel 'off' and not have any power across the wires while you're working on them.
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

Well, there was misinformation sent on delivery of my Coleman solar controller but...it DID just show up a few minutes ago on the UPS truck!! Now... there are 4 connection places and are marked SOLAR PANEL +, SOLAR PANEL-, BATTERY+, and BATTERY- Sooo...what do you think on my original wiring where I have 2 black wires tied together? I will install this tomorrow in my LAND SHARK!!
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

The two black wires probably is the common wires. You either confirm if the Coleman has the two common/negative terminal connected/shorted (then you can just connect to either BATTERY-/SOLAR PANEL-), or you split the two black wires apart, and connect them to the Coleman accordingly.
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

Thanks Chin, I'll get the hole cut out and get unit mounted in the morning. I will take pictures of original hookup no matter what just to be safe. Let ya'll know something tomorrow!!