heated flexsteel seats not heating?

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
JabberBox

Re: heated flexsteel seats not heating?

Post by JabberBox »

chin_k wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 2:42 pm These inline fuse is notorious to troubleshoot. Are you sure 20A is appropriate? What is the wire gauge size, and how many watts does the seat pulls? It is a major jump in wattage from 3A to 20A, and if that does not protect the wiring, it will be even harder to troubleshoot if the wiring get damaged.
Exactly, do you know what that wire feeds? You shouldnt just be swapping to larger amperage fuses, theres a reason it only has a low amperage fuse in it. More than likely it feeds another circuit that in turn energizes the heating element in the seat since a heating element regardless of type will draw higher amperage. It could very well do nothing more than energize a relay to turn on a higher amperage circuit. Anyway you can trace that wire to find out where it goes?
sm350bl
**Forum Contributor**

Re: heated flexsteel seats not heating?

Post by sm350bl »

Appreciate the comments, your both correct. one should not typically do what I did and just up the fuse size without reason. I went with the 20amp fuse yesterday for a couple reasons, it was what I had in the shop at the time, we don't keep a assortment of AGC fuses like we used to. another forum member was running his heated seats on a 20amp, and I wanted to see if a 20amp would blow right away or not to indicate a dead short.

Today I got the snap-on Vantage out and probed that circuit with the in-line fuse holder and started playing with it to see what was going on. I am very confident that, that in-line fuse holder is indeed supplying power to the heating pads. Amperage spiked up to around 12 amps when both seat heaters were switched on cold. then settled to around 8amp's, the draw increased and decreased in relation to load. We use the rule here at my work that we fuse for twice the load so 20amp is still correct, except today we actually verified that with science . :lol:

There was nothing in my owners folder information wise about flexsteel seats, and trying to find information regarding wiring for flexsteel rv stuff online was going to go nowhere fast. if anybody has wiring diagrams for our flexsteel seats I would love a copy for my records.
Rich
2000 Concourse 7.3L Powerstroke 4X4