Tripped fuse and fridge question

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
Fawn

Tripped fuse and fridge question

Post by Fawn »

Hi Folks,
I just got my 1998 Concourse a few weeks ago and in that time the fuse for the range hood monitor has tripped three times. I stays on for several days and then for no apparent reason blows. I can’t say I see a pattern yet. It seems arbitrary, although I’m sure there is some rhyme or reason. Could it be a short? If so, where should I look? If it’s the range hood itself, is it something someone without any electrical skills should attempt?
While I’m at it, does it take longer to cool the fridge with AC than it does with gas? It seemed like my freezer got cold immediately and the food storage took forever with AC. I’ve only cooled things twice. The first time was with gas and it seemed to go smoothly and quickly. Then when my 30amp was installed I tried AC. That’s when the freezer got cold and the food storage was sluggish. OK, I guess that enough for now. Thanks for any help on either issue.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Tripped fuse and fridge question

Post by chin_k »

I would separate the questions into two threads so that it is easier for folk to search later. Just my two cents...

Anyway, for the fuse, you need to find out what is causing the fuse to blow. For the monitor, the fuse also used on other things. Check the 12V cig. outlet by the sink... they maybe on the same circuit. Once you find out all the output of the fuse, then you can either 1, actively look for short by looking at the wiring, etc. This is a lot of work. or 2, look for overload by adding the amp used by each terminal, and make sure you are not exceeding the fuse's capacity. If you are sure you are not overloading the circuit, then you may want to pull out the monitor panel, and check the wiring there. You can do that by sliding the plastic panel up and out.... check other thread for instruction, but I will do that after I am sure that I am not overloading it first. Pull out the fuse and see which appliance and outlet do not work to know what is on that circuit.

For the fridge, yes, the gas is more powerful than the AC due to the amount of heat from propane is higher than the AC heating coil. But once the temperature is stabilized, it does not matter if you are using gas (highest BTU), AC (middle) or DC (lowest option) unless you keep the door open too often. I prefer to use AC because it is "cleaner" compare to gas. No need to run to propane shop to refill it if I can help it, and AC is cheaper alternative by a big margin. Check the leveling of your rig to make sure it is level, otherwise, the fridge will need to work harder than it needs to,
2000 Concourse dinette, on 2000 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis (built in 1999)
Fawn

Re: Tripped fuse and fridge question

Post by Fawn »

Thanks so much Chin. I’ll go through that drill you recommended. I’ll also post separate questions in the future. Stay tuned.