110 Volt Fridge

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
eporter123
**Forum Contributor**

Re: 110 Volt Fridge

Post by eporter123 »

I have NO interest in an LP fridge. They're nice, but I'm going for simple on my setup. Electric mainly, with propane for cooking, and a small heater as needed. Interesting point on the ambient temp. cooling capabilities/limits of some of the 12v coolers.

I keep looking at nice, expensive, 12v fridges, and then realize I probably don't _really_ need one. They sure are nice, though. I think the opening for the dorm fridge will be similar enough in size to a 12v RV fridge if I want to go that route in the future. I'd rather spend the $$ on an electrical setup, as I currently have nothing!

We usually are just out for a weekend, and a cooler with ice blocks frozen in quart containers does the job just fine.

Here's a good read on "Do you need a fridge" from the perspective of people driving around the world for the past 15 years.

https://expeditionportal.com/do-you-nee ... d-journey/
Former owner of a 2000 Chinook Premier, V-10, with no Interior...
peteco

Post by peteco »

Scott wrote: January 30th, 2017, 6:56 pm I have a 4.5 cubic foot Magic Chef residential refer that I power with 200 watts of solar, a 1k inverter, and a pair of golf batteries. I would have it no other way. This system covers my other 12V needs as well.
Hi Scott,
I have just joined this forum and am amazed at the depth of knowledge here. I have a dying Dometic fridge that needs replacing. If possible I would like to go a cheaper route than replacing with an expensive (but very nice) Vitrifrigo or NovaKool. I searched but could not find any other details on your Magic Chef install and performance. Can you point me in the right direction for more details here please? How has the fridge performed now 3 years in with it? Thanks.
Pete
Hampton, VA
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I'm sure Scott will come around and tell you more, but I remember the broad outline is that he removed the generator and put the new house batteries and inverter in that compartment. Not that you couldn't put them elsewhere (as long as inverter is very close to batteries), but that certainly made it handy.

As long as you do the math, electrically, and it works out, it should be good (plus work out a way to secure the refrigerator and its door for travel).

Break out the saw! (For the absorption refrigerator.)

I'm interested to hear Scott's long-term report, too. I have a Vitrifrigo, but I always like to find out about alternative solutions. I'm guessing it's humming along just fine.
1999 Concourse
peteco

Post by peteco »

The Vitrifrigo DP150 and NovaKool 5810 are my other options. Looks like several have gone with VItrifrigos. My only concern is Vitrifrigo being made oversees if there is an issue with getting parts if needed. Also interested in how reliable the Vitrifrigos have been now that people have several years use with them.
Pete
Hampton, VA
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

peteco wrote: July 27th, 2020, 6:38 am My only concern is Vitrifrigo being made oversees if there is an issue with getting parts if needed. Also interested in how reliable the Vitrifrigos have been now that people have several years use with them.
Two things:

1) Vitrifrigo has a big headquarters in Fort Lauderdale, FL (boating capital), so you can contact them, get parts info, etc. I would be surprised if Isotherm and Nova Kool didn't have the same.

2) You are really only buying a Vitrifrigo (or Nova Kool) "shell." The compressor in either of those (or in an Isotherm) will be a Danfoss/Secop. That's the heart of it. Those of course are not made in the US, but I have been easily able to talk to their tech dept. and parts are easy to get. There are also tons of videos and help pages on how to diagnose problems or make tweaks to the compressor (for example, you can hook up an LED light and read error codes).

So given a Danfoss/Secop compressor (and that's what I would look for), the brand (to me) is mostly about the shape/size, the door shelves, the look -- and functional items like hinges, etc.

BG

PS: As an example, my buddy's second Vitrifrigo DP-150 (he put one in two RV's) came with a big flaw inside the door. Essentially, they must mold them with a plastic covering, that they they peel off, after which they mount the shelf bases and etc. Well, on his they had clearly forgotten to remove the plastic film, but there was now no way to do that without completely taking the door apart. He contacted them, sent a couple photos and they sent him an entire new door, no charge. (Not that they shouldn't have, but it was that easy.) They didn't even try to make him transfer over a bunch of parts or any folderol.
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

It is important to stand behind the production, and provide support, and when something messed up, do the fair thing and get it taken care off. Sounds like a good company if your buddy's experience is typical. Everyone makes mistake here and there.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
peteco

Post by peteco »

Blue~Go wrote: July 27th, 2020, 11:33 am 1) Vitrifrigo has a big headquarters in Fort Lauderdale, FL (boating capital), so you can contact them, get parts info, etc. I would be surprised if Isotherm and Nova Kool didn't have the same.

2) You are really only buying a Vitrifrigo (or Nova Kool) "shell." The compressor in either of those (or in an Isotherm) will be a Danfoss/Secop. That's the heart of it. Those of course are not made in the US, but I have been easily able to talk to their tech dept. and parts are easy to get. There are also tons of videos and help pages on how to diagnose problems or make tweaks to the compressor (for example, you can hook up an LED light and read error codes).

He contacted them, sent a couple photos and they sent him an entire new door, no charge. (Not that they shouldn't have, but it was that easy.) They didn't even try to make him transfer over a bunch of parts or any folderol.
These are key points that I like to hear about a company.

1. A real headquarters with knowledgeable technical support. Also in Florida where I go every year (hopefully again in 2021 if Covid gets knocked down there)

2. Examples of good product/warranty support.

I just wish the 12v fridges weren't so darn expensive.
Pete
Hampton, VA
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

The price is high because the demand is not there. It probably cost the company the same money to have 5000 12 V compressors made in China/Mexico/whereever compare to 50,000 of them, but what are they going to do with 45,000 compressors that can't be used?
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

You can't get around the fact that a household refrigerator will cost less. And it can work great (e.g. Scott).

On the other hand, if you are wanting reasons to justify a 12 volt compressor model, here are a few plusses:

1) They are meant to go in a moving vehicle. So flange mounts, doors that positively lock, shelves have fiddles, etc. Operation up to 30º slant no problem (for the refrigerator; can't speak to you or the rest of the rig :lol: )

2) Possibly more energy efficient than running an inverter and a 110 fridge (however if you have all the power to spare, then that doesn't matter).

3) Buy once, cry once: If it's what you really want (and you can afford to make the purchase), they are long-lived, in my experience. They just want good voltage (no super long, super skinny supply wires).

4) At least (to help mitigate the cost) some of the components are replaceable vs. buying another one (compressor electronic module, shelves and etc.).

:Sound of needle scratching off of vinyl record:

Actually, based purely on budget, it's hard to make a case for these though. So I guess kind of forget my list above and just buy one if you want one (and can) --- or go with an inverter/household setup for less.

If you are on the East Coast, and you are interested in Vitrifrigo, try CitiMarine. They are right next to V's headquarters in Florida, have great prices, are personable on the phone, and have free shipping (!). The "black" fronted models are the best value (vs. the stainless fronted ones).

I think the DP-150 is a really nice size, but OTOH, the 130 with the separate compressor is surprisingly roomy and you get another counter, much more visual and actual space in that entry aisle - and more space for other things by the door (I always find this super useful). It's a bit fiddly installing but fairly easy if you put the compressor under the stove next to the wheelwell (wasted space otherwise) and vent from inside (bonus: seal off that leaky vent area). And then you can insulate the box really easily because it needs no ventilation.

OTOOH, I'm not one to suggest that everyone should do what I did. Heck, it's probably a warning to most people to do something, anything else :lol: :lol:

Scott's system really does have a lot to recommend it. In fact, I've been basking in the coolth of his air-conditioning design for weeks now. Ahhhhhh (because trapped in the SW while friend in hospital). And I still have my beloved skylight (because air conditioner not on roof).
1999 Concourse
peteco

Post by peteco »

Hey BG, I really appreciate the information. You have peaked my interest now on the Vitrifrigo C130. I like the remote compressor setup. It looks like the freezer is bigger and more useable than on the NovaKool 5810, though fridge space would be less. How has the freezer worked out for you from a food storage standpoint?

Can a gallon jug of milk fit in the fridge?

Any other food storage thoughts in general, and compared to the DP150 that you have seen?

What kind of freezer/fridge temps do you typically run in hot weather? I like the freezer to be in single digits, which my Dometic still does (at least when the control system doesn't flake out, even though I have the Dinosaur board).

While I'm at it, what has been you power usage, again in hot weather?

Thanks.
Pete
Hampton, VA