Plexiglas table with map of U.S.?

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
beemingbill

Plexiglas table with map of U.S.?

Post by beemingbill »

I recently purchased a 97 Concourse that has a Plexiglas table with a map of the U.S. and I am wondering if this was a factory option or an aftermarket item. See the picture attached.
Attachments
Chinook Table.JPG
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Plexiglas table with map of U.S.?

Post by chin_k »

Wow, never see on before. Probably custom. So can you insert something on top of the state that you visited?

With acrylic, the main issue is that it is heavier than wood, easy to scratched (but can be polished out), and depends on the type of acrylic, it can be prone to crazing. But it certainly look very, very nice. Be careful when you move it up and down, since if the piece that attached to the wall is acrylic, it cracked if you give it too much impact. I don't know if I feel comfortable sleeping on top of it, however, because it is more brittle than wood. It will be better if it is Lexan (polycarbonate), however.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
beemingbill

Post by beemingbill »

Well I am not sure of the exact material it is made of so I just guessed it to be Plexiglas. It is indeed heavy, Is there any way to Know for sure.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I am pretty sure it is plexiglass/acrylic. Lexan is more difficult to work with. I think acrylic dissolve in acetone, but polycarbonate does not. The main difference is that polycarbonate is a lot more impact resistant, so it will deform rather than shatter when hit by bullet. At any rate, I am pretty sure you have acrylic there... just by the popularity of acrylic vs polycarbonate.
beemingbill

Post by beemingbill »

Here are better pictures with the state capitals noted by a star. It is very well reinforced with thick edges all around.
Attachments
Table 2.JPG
Table 1.JPG
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

It is very nice. I certainly would like to know who made it. Look up what people use on acrylic, and make sure you don't use chemical that can cause crazing on the surface. I wonder if it is possible to put LED around the inside edge to light it up... BTW, acrylic scratch easily, but you can buff out the scratch with polishing compound, if you ever need to do that.