"Skylight" for standard 14"x14" roof hole (removed Air-con)

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
caconcourse

Re: "Skylight" for standard 14"x14" roof hole (removed Air-con)

Post by caconcourse »

Newgmole wrote: September 28th, 2021, 7:21 am Any new information on this post…
Have a small leak at ac seal, in Lake Poncha train,
on the roof… trying to decide what to do about this. I love the idea of a skylight, but I’m not into all the work associated with doing that. Thinking maybe I’ll try some Di-Cor sealant to seal it up before making any drastic changes. Anybody have any thoughts on what this would do for the resale value of the rig?
I had the AC leak water during a rainstorm. The AC seal is a foam compression gasket between the top and bottom sections. There are three bolts that squeeze the top and bottom together and compress the seal. All I had to do is tighten the bolts to fix the leak. You can get to them by removing the inside cover, which is held on by screws underneath the air filters, which pop off inside the cabin. They are long skinny bolts that you can tighten with a socket wrench.

Personally I would not do without an AC, even though I hardly ever use it. On a hot day (100deg+), it is really needed. We were stranded one day with a flat near the Four corners area, and had to wait for a few hours for help, and the AC and generator were essential.
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
Newgmole

Post by Newgmole »

I have already tried to tighten the seal around the air conditioner… I believe the seal is past its life expectancy. And the previous owner has he used a bunch of caulk and other gunk to seal it up. :?
I wouldn’t do without an air conditioner either, I sweat at the drop of a hat. :evil: I would replace the air conditioner with something like Blu had suggested, a standalone unit that goes inside the rig or a window air conditioner. I know that’s not the best but I think a standalone unit would be just fine inside the rig.
Just wondering if anyone else has addressed the issue with the slightly sagging roof and an air conditioner that is 30 years old and possibly on it’s last leg. The air conditioner does work really well though and I hate to go through all the work of taking the air conditioner off the roof and doing all that work. I don’t move like I used to when I was 24,34 or 44.
So even climbing up the ladder and doing all that work it’s just an arduous task to me.
People around me are chanting flexseal like there are a member of some kind of cult and/or have watched to many infomercials… However I am not sold.
1998 Premier V8
Newgmole

Post by Newgmole »

Here are some pictures…
There is a bow in the top “cake layer”
leading to a pool of water (aka. Lake Pontchartrain) around the ac unit… :cry:

I am thinking about installing one of these skylights
Attachments
2260DBE7-AFE2-44EA-B123-EEDDAE49DD4F.jpeg
66A934D3-D537-4D4A-B5DA-11FCC4EF2811.jpeg
601B0F62-45A0-4853-A9D1-FFB9D6808201.jpeg
1998 Premier V8
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Removing the rooftop AC is not going to be good idea, particularly when there is nothing wrong with it... you will still have the Lake Pontchartrain when you have the skylight on there.

See if there is a way to remove the roof contour. It usually does not press down like that, but I only been on the roof of 3 chinooks. Maybe put a metal spring strip between the layers will pop it up again? Did the previous owner hit something with the AC and caused the roof damage?

Anyway, if you can seal it up, it maybe fine the way it is. As soon as you move your rig, all the water will slide off the back anyway. Maybe all it take is to level your rig so that the water will not pool, and the fridge still works fine...
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Newgmole

Post by Newgmole »

As far as I know there was no major damage done to the roof, such as hitting a low bridge. :?
I thought I read on this forum somewhere in my travels, about the issue with the two tiered roofs sagging due to the weight of the air conditioner over the years. I guess for now I will just join the cult of flexseal…
1998 Premier V8
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Can butyl be used to seal it instead? You want something that can be cleaned up later. I don't think flexseal is anything special, but they do certainly spent a lot of money on the ads. I think you just need to prop the AC off the roof a little to install the seal, and no need to remove it completely.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Newgmole

Post by Newgmole »

If I’m gonna go through the trouble of propping up the air conditioner, I will just replace the seal for the air conditioner.Thanks for the advice and responses.
1998 Premier V8
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

Newgmole wrote: September 29th, 2021, 10:06 am If I’m gonna go through the trouble of propping up the air conditioner, I will just replace the seal for the air conditioner.Thanks for the advice and responses.
A new gasket is less than $15: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E ... 0DER&psc=1
seems to be an Amazon best seller.
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
Newgmole

Post by Newgmole »

Thank you for the link
1998 Premier V8
Doc

Post by Doc »

Just a thought but does anyone have a source for a round interior cover for the Fantastic fan short of making one?