Some light interior remodeling

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Steeldriver17

Re: Some light interior remodeling

Post by Steeldriver17 »

chin_k wrote: June 16th, 2021, 7:10 pm It is difficult to not to be messy when you are working, but looking at the workmanship you did, I can tell you are very organized, meticulous and thoughtful. I will need to be more skillful at the electrical work I did. Thank you for sharing your progress with us.
Thanks chin. If you knew me, you might take back that organized comment. I do generally know where everything is, but it is in no way organized in any sort of reasonable fashion. I can be meticulous when need be, but also very haphazard at other times. And as for thoughtful, I definitely have overthought things. I can't even begin to tell you how long during this process that I have sat in the chinook, stared at the interior, and just imagined and brainstormed what I want. Hours and hours. I probably have as much time in the staring and thinking process as I do in the actually getting work done part of it.

I'll keep the pictures and write ups coming. Hope you guys are enjoying them. I was inspired by willywalderbeast's posts here and on expedition portal. Hopefully somebody coming across my posts will feel a similar sense of inspiration.
CVZK

Post by CVZK »

Looks amazing. I would like to remove the old shag carpet in my 2004 Premier, and put down vinyl . Do you just cut it back to the edge of the water tank and heater and pump, so you run the edge of the vinyl under the bed edge? I’m thinking of removing the couch and putting in twin beds. The table has come off the wall so I installed one of those tube posts that many rv’s have. I would like to design some other table arrangement, but I could always just set up TV trays in the aisle if I’m not eating on my lap. I’m not too keen on hanging something from the wall because the paneling seems very thin. I am open to ideas from others.

Code: Select all

q
Steeldriver17 wrote: June 10th, 2021, 7:13 pm IMG_20210610_204708_7.jpg

I didn't go with baltic birch for the front piece of the bed. Plywood is very expensive right now and I had some scrap half inch sanded plywood in the garage. It doesn't match, and sort of bothers me so I may replace it with baltic birch at some point in the future.

As you can see from the previous pictures, I finished out the front area of the camper with some vinyl plank flooring. The brand is lifeproof from home depot and it is 100% waterproof. The stuff installed really easily and looks fantastic. I am very happy with it. It is a slightly grayish color.

IMG_20210610_204215_2.jpg
Steeldriver17

Post by Steeldriver17 »

The carpet is just cut back, not totally removed. I will trim out the bottom edges of my work with quarter round. I really didn't feel like doing a complete gutting of the interior. Some day I may gut the entire thing because I don't like the bathroom and would like to build out a complete interior from scratch. I won't ever be showering inside and would like to install a cassette toilet or composting toilet and get rid of the black water tank entirely. It hangs so damn low to the ground.
Concourse St Tropez

Post by Concourse St Tropez »

Time to go on a small diet 😃 (so you can enter without turning sideways)
Steeldriver17

Post by Steeldriver17 »

Concourse St Tropez wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 9:00 am Time to go on a small diet 😃 (so you can enter without turning sideways)
:lol: :lol: I'm only 30 years old, 6'1", and less than 200 lbs. It's just the shoulder width that is the problem. It is a hell of a lot better now with those extra 5-6 inches though.
Concourse St Tropez

Post by Concourse St Tropez »

I must admit that my post makes me look like a fool...
As after owning my y2k Concourse for over 10 years I never noticed that I had to turn sideways the same way you do 🙄 you are 100 % right..it is the shoulders 😁 (a diet can only help if someone has problems entering after turning sideways 😃)
Now you got me hating that fridge..and no diet will ever solve that design nonsense. I will follow your remodel with interest .😎
Steeldriver17

Post by Steeldriver17 »

Concourse St Tropez wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 8:29 pm I must admit that my post makes me look like a fool...
As after owning my y2k Concourse for over 10 years I never noticed that I had to turn sideways the same way you do 🙄 you are 100 % right..it is the shoulders 😁 (a diet can only help if someone has problems entering after turning sideways 😃)
Now you got me hating that fridge..and no diet will ever solve that design nonsense. I will follow your remodel with interest .😎
Entering the chinook is assuredly much easier without the fridge. Now...if only I could stop hitting my head on the way in! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steeldriver17

Post by Steeldriver17 »

I have not done very much in way of the chinook. I've been busy clearing out my house, doing some light repairs on my house, and riding the motorcycle I just bought to carry on the back of the chinook. 2016 Honda cb500x.
IMG_20210626_211455_3.jpg
I did get a few things done on the chinook. I built two drawers under the stove. The bottom drawer is 12 inches and the top drawer is 6 inches. Now all I need to do to finish the kitchen is build some drawer fronts and face frames.
IMG_20210627_205552_2.jpg
IMG_20210627_205600_4.jpg
I've never build drawers before, but it wasn't bad. It's just one box installed into a bigger box. Getting the slides installed into the base cabinet was probably the trickiest part. My base cabinets are slightly out of square so it took some doing.

I also got the closet face frames finalized and installed. Halfway through my build, I got incredibly tired of pocket holes. I find them so tedious and not all that sturdy. So I just started drilling holes with a countersink bit and screwing everything straight into the front of the face. Originally I was going to leave the birch unpainted, but I've decided to paint all the wood. I'll just putty/wood filler over the holes and you'll never know the difference.

I think I'm getting to a point where I'm almost done. I have all of July to finish the build and I'm not worried about it at all.

That's it for now.
Steeldriver17

Post by Steeldriver17 »

Nothing much to add today. I spent most of the day throwing the rest of my stuff in the dumpster. I did however get the rest of my LifeProof flooring laid. I still need to add threshold pieces and figure out what to do with the step area. I was going to glue down some more of the vinyl flooring but I had exactly enough to finish up to it. Took 2 boxes.
IMG_20210630_214025_4.jpg
LosLaureles

Post by LosLaureles »

I also got motivated and removed carpet. Replacing with vinyl planks and thin underlayment. What did you do about the house mounting bolts? I thought about replacing with stainless Tnuts and run bolt from underneath with lockwashers and locktite
2000 Chinook Premier