Rebuilt The Rear Entry Door

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
VTSweetpea

Rebuilt The Rear Entry Door

Post by VTSweetpea »

Water infiltration had done the number on our Concourse's entry door. The wife (VTsweetpea) and I decided to rebuild the core of the existing door rather than buy a new one. Here are the take-a-ways from our experience:
1- Sourcing materials for the project was the first hurdle, especially finding fiberglass for the exterior facing of the door. We were able to purchase a 4x8 sheet of 1/8" thick FG. This eliminated the need to use a thin sheet of FG backed by luan plywood. Also eliminated the potential for rot.

2- Cutting the FG was a struggle. Given the tools I had available- I went thru 4 -120 tooth plywood cutting blades (non carbide) on my circular saw and 2 or 3 carbide grit jigsaw blades to get core outline, window and lockset holes cut. I definitely would look for a better way to make the long straight cuts if I had to do it over again.

3- Figuring out the right materials to use to make the core sandwich was fun. Ended up using polystyrene foam insulation, acrylic foam board and FRP wall paneling.

4- Did we save any money vs ordering a stock door or having one custom made? Definitely on a custom door. Maybe on a stock door depending on what we ordered. The biggest cost was the 1/8" FG sheet. Shipping was a killer on that since the source was in FL and we are in VT!

5- Was it worth it? It was challenging and nerve racking at times (screwing up the FG cuts would have been very costly!). But we are pleased with the final result. See pics.
Attachments
OldDoor1.JPG
NewDoor1.JPG
NewDoorOpen2.JPG
2001 Concourse 4x4
dougm

Re: Rebuilt The Rear Entry Door

Post by dougm »

Interesting, looks like it turned out nice. I wasnt even aware that they ever used a wood core door on them. The ones i have seen are metal doors with inner metal bracing and hollow areas with a plastic door panel to cover up the guts.
Barrera

Post by Barrera »

Very well done VTSweetpea! That is a very impressive rebuild. I'm facing the same issue with my rear door but the bottom hinge and frame is broken on mine. I like your work!
1995 Concourse
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

Looks really good and better than new, well worth the effort.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
terance13

Post by terance13 »

I think this may be beyond my skill set. Can I just send you mine to rebuild??? 2-3 day turnaround please!

Looks like new!!!
Ninemiler

Post by Ninemiler »

Just finished a similar repair on the entry door to our 1998 Concourse. The lower hinge-side had begun to pull apart and water had infiltrated the core. Essentially, de-constructed the door so everything could dry. Had braces manufactured at a sheet metal shop and attached these to add additional support. Re-caulked/re-sealed everything. Bigger project than anticipated and time-consuming. But we should be good to go now.
IMG_1659.jpg
IMG_1660.jpg
IMG_1662.jpg
IMG_1667 (2).jpg
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

The braces look pretty good, but I wondering why you did not do the entire low section with one larger panel, but with a thin brace with a smaller panel.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis