MorRyde Removal

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Warthogg

MorRyde Removal

Post by Warthogg »

No important information. Just thought it was cool to see my rig on youtube.

http:youtu.be/6Ve5RoHPbBQ
"Warthogg"- 2001 V10 4x4
Chinook009

Re: MorRyde Removal

Post by Chinook009 »

I saw the vid, nice work.
I am looking at dealing with my rear springs now, maybe we can chat offline. I'll PM you.
Considering re-arching existing, but new one's look excellent! Need to know more - cost, etc.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

Warthogg wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 12:30 pm No important information. Just thought it was cool to see my rig on youtube.

http:youtu.be/6Ve5RoHPbBQ
That was really neat. So how does it ride with just the leaf springs?
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
Warthogg

Post by Warthogg »

The ride is better....way way better, but towing and steering are the hands down the biggest improvement. To be fair, I have no idea how it drove and rode straight out of the factory 20 years ago?? Nothing against MorRyde, I just think this new set up is better in every way. I'm old fashioned, I like the rear of the rig to sit higher so when loaded (or even unloaded) it's not squatting. Was it worth the money and the 1000 mile round trip? I would say for me.....definitely yes.
"Warthogg"- 2001 V10 4x4
HSSC

Post by HSSC »

Gald you brought this subject up. I picked up a 1998 4x4 Premier at 123,000 mile mark. The front suspension has a whopping 2 or 3" of travel before the stops and the MorRyde system looks, well different. Some of the old Readymix trucks used a similar system that I drove. I'd like to up grade or change it out.
The camper has been well used and needs a ton of love. Kind of like myself. The bones are good though and I'm thinking it's worth the effort.
It's a Salem Kroger 4x4 conversion. Ken.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

HSSC wrote: June 24th, 2020, 1:08 pm Gald you brought this subject up. I picked up a 1998 4x4 Premier at 123,000 mile mark. The front suspension has a whopping 2 or 3" of travel before the stops and the MorRyde system looks, well different. Some of the old Readymix trucks used a similar system that I drove. I'd like to up grade or change it out.
The camper has been well used and needs a ton of love. Kind of like myself. The bones are good though and I'm thinking it's worth the effort.
It's a Salem Kroger 4x4 conversion. Ken.
I think Salem was original factory converter for the Chinooks.

I bet it's definitely worth the love. Good luck and think about posting build on this forum.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
HSSC

Post by HSSC »

If I could get 2 or 3 inches more travel out of the front/ and a taller tire and rework the rear suspension with longer Deaver leaf springs with a good shock package, I'm thinking I'd be golden.
I'm not looking for a rock crawler. Get me off the beach in Baja or up a wash to that nice camping spot in the middle of the American southwest .
There are times your going to twist that suspension up but that will not be a on going role for this vehicle.
Just kind of hoping others have already done this with the Chinook platform.
Ken and family.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I hear a big bang sound on a trip, and I just check my rig, and see that both MorRyde springs were ripped. :( I am going to replace it once more time. I need to remember to get the shackles from the junkyard next time when I go to one.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Warthogg

Post by Warthogg »

I had a chance to compare old vs new. Drove the same trip to Oroville and back that I've done numerous times. I've done it stock (2wd), with just front suspension done, and with new rear suspension. Ride was super nice, but the steering was the big change. I think the 20 year old rear suspension was just shot. I don't know for sure, but I think if had replaced the rear springs with new OEM springs I would probably have the same or comparable results, just without 3" added ride height.

What happened to Chin_k happened to me 3 years ago. Heard a loud bang and shear springs were gone. Ruined the vacation. We turned around and headed home. I swore when I had a chance I would remove them...I did.
"Warthogg"- 2001 V10 4x4
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I knew many of us drove on broken Mor Ryde spring(s) without problem. Just when you go over a bump, you will see the dually airborne. And it is probably not going to be very safe when it come to braking power. I would be extra careful if I knew one or both are sheared, but would not let it ruin my trip, however. YMMV, obviously.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis