Chinook summit ss 2004 any owner out there

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
Max

Chinook summit ss 2004 any owner out there

Post by Max »

Would like to start a Conversation with any other owners . Of summit is there any issues with this coach any comments or feedback would be appreciated
Blue~Go

Re: Chinook summit ss 2004 any owner out there

Post by Blue~Go »

Hi Max,

Maybe you have already considered this, but if you don't end up with very many "Summit SS" owners to converse with, you might consider broadening your net to include owners of the other similar (by which I mean the models that had a slide) Chinooks. I don't know all the details, but I *think* the Destin, Cascade, and Glacier had slides too (?) Also, usually there are two models in the same sub-family -- one fancier and one more basic. For example, Concourse/Premier in the non-slide ones. So the Summit must have a sister - probably one of the other names I mentioned.

Many "modern" Chinooks are on the Ford chassis, but some are on a Chevy. That would be an obvious category (not sure which you have).

And then some things are common to just about all Chinooks from a similar era, but that would depend on what thing(s) were under consideration. Obviously Concourse owners couldn't speak to slides, and Destiny owners wouldn't know about rear-door considerations.

At any rate, probably most of us love to talk about our Chinooks :)
1999 Concourse
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Blue, the Summit stands alone at the err... summit of Chinooks :D

The siblings go like this, in length & base price order:

21' Eagle, Premier, Sport, Concourse, Baja
24' Maverick (externally looks kind of like a side door Cascade)
24' Cascade, Destiny
25' Glacier (one slide)
27' Summit (two slides)

The Sport package was a $13k addon that made a Premier look kind of like a 2wd Baja.

(To me, the Maverick is different enough from the Cascade/Destiny to have its own slot. Besides its unique side door, floor plans, and rear full width dry bath with separate shower, the Maverick was later made on a Ford chassis, while the Cascade/Destiny were all Chevy based. It truly was a maverick Chinook model.)
Last edited by kdarling on May 18th, 2018, 6:37 am, edited 23 times in total.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Aha! I have seen that biggun in photos, but forgot the details of the names, etc. Also didn't realize that there was only one feature level in that model (so no twin-but-plainer sisters). Thanks for listing them all.

Although still likely that all the "slide" Chinook owners (especially if same brand chassis) would have a fair bit in common.

But of course not to fault Max for wanting to find a gang of Summiteers :)
1999 Concourse
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

You brought up a good point, that it depends on what the topic category is.

For engine and other cutaway chassis questions, you basically want someone with the same truck brand.

For questions about slides, either a Glacier or Summit owner.

For levelers, multiple models. For generators and solar, almost anyone.

For batteries and associated devices, it depends on year range more than model. Same for LP gas controls.

We almost need a guide chart of features vs models / years!
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Beachcomber

Post by Beachcomber »

Hello. This is an old thread but forgive me I just came aboard.
Max was wanting to contact other Summit owners.
By going through old posts I have found one other CJ Risen and myself BF Branin.
I also saw one other owner at the last gathering in Oregon.. he was from Washington near Pasco.
That is 4 so that would be an interesting sub group.

How do we set up,some method of contact?
Jermanitor

Post by Jermanitor »

I have a 2004 glacier LE.
Beachcomber

Post by Beachcomber »

Thanks for th reply. They both have the same slide outs. Very comfortable.
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

That was a good question about how can we know the Chinook owners in specific areas, like say states to start, then maybe major cities.
I'm in Washington State, Seattle area.
It would be nice to know if anyone is in the Portland area of Oregon, as am example, or even in our own backyard.
I know the Airstream forum had a regional sub section for get togethers.
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
Beachcomber

Post by Beachcomber »

Every Chinook model must have its own unique systems. Recently I had a problem with the couch slideout on my 2004 Summit. This same slide is on the Glacier models. I called HWH the slide manufacturer and they we helpful but their suggestion didn’t work.
The problem finally was located. The slide has an inflatable tube seal which keeps the Cube from weather leaks around the edges.
The control system gave the correct light indication that it was ok to retract the cube. However on the way in it got stuck. After a long period of checking I found that the combination air compressor/vacuum unit had quit working even tho the light indicators said it was ok to retract. This caused the “Cube” slide to jam. I finally found that the breaker for the electrical supply to the air compressor/vacuum unit had kicked off.
The issue is that the three hidden breakers which are mounted on the wall inside the area where the coach batteries are installed. You can not see these breakers unless you remove the front Bank of batteries. I put my hand in by the battery bank and was able to reset the breaker. This returned power to the compressor unit which deflated the tube seal.
I found a handwritten note from the original owner with that information.
It is not in any information in the manuals nor did the slide manufacturer have any knowledge of it.
I recommend you do a visual check of the seal to be sure it has deflated before retracting the slide.