Chinook summit ss 2004 any owner out there

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
ltg

Re: Chinook summit ss 2004 any owner out there

Post by ltg »

The 2005 Glacier has those three breakers. And, they are on the wall in the battery compartment. But, they are in plain site, up front, across from the batteries.
Todd2005

Post by Todd2005 »

I'm new to this forum as I just inherited a 2005 Summit on the Ford 450 diesel chassis. So I am interested in connecting with other Summit owners. This one has been sitting in a garage since late 2008. my first step was to replace batteries... I replaced a single deep cycle battery in the slide out tray just behind the passenger side rear axle. (room for 3, but only one installed). Next problem is to find the chassis battery... cant find it! Not under the hood. Not in any of the basement compartments. Anyone know where else to look? Also looking for a manual to download...
Appreciate any input...
Beachcomber

Post by Beachcomber »

Hello. I have been using my Summit for sometime. The only house batteries that are in the unit are those on the slide out tray you described. One thing I did learn that was not in any manuals is that there are three breakers located in the battery compartment. They are on the right side wall hidden. You have to use a flash light to see them. They have a red push button to trip them and a small lever on the top to reset them. If any of these are tripped it will not let power go to the leveling legs or the slide out cubes. Both of these features use lots of current when they operate. I have found that the engine needs to be running, the emergency brake needs to be on, and you need to wait for a short time between using the slide outs. The system has a small air compressor which deflates and inflates the bladder seal around the cube.
When you operate the cube you turn the key switch and wait while the bladder deflates. The yellow light will blink during this operation. When the light stays on continuously then you can extend the cube. When cube is all the way out you can turn the key off. This will cause the air compressor to come on and RE inflate the seal.
Wait before extending the second cube as the little compressor could be overloaded if it is supplying air to two cubes.
Same operation for second cube.
I was able to find a manual online for the Glacier. They have only one slide but the operation is the same.
Email me direct if you need to chat more. Flywaco@juno.com..
MJH2004Summit

Post by MJH2004Summit »

We just bought a 2004 Summit and sold our 1993 Concourse. I love the extra room with the bed in the back. We need to replace the compressor. Anyone had to do this?
Beachcomber

Post by Beachcomber »

The air compressor was part of the HWH system. They are in business and you can find them on the internet. Their service department will return phone calls. I believe they can ship parts as needed.
WHaltiwanger

Post by WHaltiwanger »

MJH2004Summit wrote: August 8th, 2020, 12:50 pm We just bought a 2004 Summit and sold our 1993 Concourse. I love the extra room with the bed in the back. We need to replace the compressor. Anyone had to do this?
I replaced mine last week Thomas Pumps 405ADC38/12H. Purchased from Grainger Ownes (online).

Wayne
Beachcomber

Post by Beachcomber »

Thanks for the info on the Compressor. It might be a good investment to have one on the shelf at home just in case.
SLCinWA

Post by SLCinWA »

I know this is an older thread but I just wanted to share my experience so far with my new-to-me 2004 Chinook Summit 2700 with 30K miles.

I flew to MS to pick it up and drove it up to HWH in Iowa for an inspection. They fixed the slide's control box that apparently had a 'burnt relay'. Keep in mind the slides worked fine for me the two nights I camped while driving it up to Iowa!

Anyway, I'm staying in Denver now for another week and couldn't be happier.

I absolutely love my new-to-me Chinook Summit!

Now I just have to think of a name for her!
2004 Chinook Summit - first night camping.jpeg
2004 Chinook Summit 2700
TheIceKing

Post by TheIceKing »

Wondering how your liking the Chinook Summit 2700 after now owning it for over a year. I'm looking at the same unit, but the LE (4 season) with only 24K miles. What can you share regarding your purchase? They are hard to find......

Any major issues yet?
Beachcomber

Post by Beachcomber »

The Chinooks were made with the best possible parts at the time …20 years ago. That being said there is a lot of possible items that have reached the end of their useful life.
Issues you need to check
Tires,… 5 years is the shelf life even tho they may look good.
Batteries and the complex HWH slide and leveling system.
Generator fuel supply line should be replaced
I would plan to take the Summit to the HWH factory for a complete checkup and possible replacement of the cube seals.
These seals keep the water from coming in to the coach around the cubes. They deflate and inflate each time the slides move in and out.

I have owned a number of RVs. The Summit was by far the most enjoyable.
I sold my Summit because we retired from RVing.