How many miles do you have on your engine?

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Re: How many miles do you have on your engine?

Post by Flame »

Let me make sure I understand...I have a 1998 Triton V-10 in my concourse. Is it still one of the units that will probably give us problems? I now have about 60,000 miles on mine. Maybe I should change the spark plugs and make sure they are torqued down correctly??
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark
Willywalderbeast

Post by Willywalderbeast »

Flame wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 2:25 pm Let me make sure I understand...I have a 1998 Triton V-10 in my concourse. Is it still one of the units that will probably give us problems? I now have about 60,000 miles on mine. Maybe I should change the spark plugs and make sure they are torqued down correctly??
Yes. I would at the very least re-torque them.

Some people never have a problem with there plugs, some people choose to wait till one pops to address one or all of them, and some people just install inserts in all 10cyl just to never have a problem while on the road. Or if you want to go all in you change the heads all together which is a pain in a van because the motor has to come out to do so. It’s all a matter of preference.

Having gone thru the ordeal I would still probably just check the torque often and that’s about it. Deal with the problem IF it occurs. It’s not the end of the world if it happens on the road. Just unplug the injector and you can drive it as is, it will be loud but it won’t hurt anything if you need to get her home or to a shop.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Is the Napa "quickfix" kit the following:
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SER2125 ... WoQAvD_BwE
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Roly

Post by Roly »

I posted on this topic a few comments back. I believe that the material from NAPA is the stuff my mechanic used when I had all 10 plug holes beefed up, as he is a NAPA parts user.

Roly
1998 Premier
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I am going to call one of these fellows that does a lot of the insert, and see how much it cost. I prefer not to do it myself, since it looks like it is a pain on the E350 van. I think one of them is about an hour away (Ron Williams). If it cost a bit, I may want to handle it myself (used to drill/tap million dollar machinery).
dougm

Post by dougm »

chin_k wrote: November 5th, 2020, 10:08 pm I am going to call one of these fellows that does a lot of the insert, and see how much it cost. I prefer not to do it myself, since it looks like it is a pain on the E350 van. I think one of them is about an hour away (Ron Williams). If it cost a bit, I may want to handle it myself (used to drill/tap million dollar machinery).
Did you blow a plug? I subscribe to the old saying..."If you want it done right, do it yourself".
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

No, not yet. I am going to make sure the plugs are not loose next time when I need to take the rig out for a spin. If it is only $300 or $400, I am thinking just to bring it there to have someone with experience to do the install for me. My compressor busted its motor, and I took it apart. So I can't do the install myself.
starjots

Post by starjots »

1995 Premier w/V8. Got it with 20K miles, up to 75K now on the engine. Nothing but regular oil/filter changes so far.

From reading this thread (and the fact I've put 55K miles on the engine), I'm thinking of taking this to a Ford dealership to get the plugs changed and whatever else an old E350 needs after our next trip (another 5K miles).
Alfie Farrand

Post by Alfie Farrand »

I now have 144k on my v10 2004 Concourse engine no problems fingers crossed
Thanks Alfie
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bought Concourse 21 new in 2004. 115K miles including 2 mo. roundtrip to Alaska. No problems, just usual maintenance & expect go at least to 200K (wish I could last that long!). Assuming all else is in reasonable condition, buy it, if someone else hasn't already.